Question for BAS or anyone with knowledge !

Sorry nosparks there is 20 rooms in total ( just pointing out the size of the place ) the board im talking about supplies 6 rooms, an office and a shed.

Sponsored Links
OK that makes a substantial difference. I stand by by original answer, that two boards would seem OK, but purely out of curiosity how are you using 20 ways for so few rooms? Its just that have a similar configuration, 5 let rooms and communal areas and kitchen, and I'm wondering how to approach that - so you can see my interest in your question.

I would fit additional RCD protection for concealed cables in accordance with 522.6.6(v) and sockets outlets not exceeding 20A.

One of my concerns would be with the emergency lighting.

Obviously it depends how the system's wired but if an RCD or RCBO tripped during the day when the hotel was quiet the batteries could discharge without anyone knowing.

Having additional protection for the sockets in a hotel is one thing but I'm not sure about the lighting :confused:

Having additional protection for the sockets in a hotel is one thing but I'm not sure about the lighting :confused:

There are four other options in 522.6.6 (i)-(iv) if the wiring is going to be concealed at a depth of less than 50mm (not run in a partition containing metal parts or 522.6.8 if applicable).
Either that or rely on the designer to carry out a risk assessment against the use of an RCD and adopt a skilled or instructed person to supervise the installation if 522.6.6 (v) is a must.
I would like something on paper should it ever go wrong though.

Sponsored Links
For a new hotel install I would go with one of the non RCD options for the lighting.

Burntwire, are you installing the new DB's to the existing cabling or are you re-wiring as well?

What about wiring it as per typical European practice for hotels? Sub-main per floor, or corridor, or whatever grouping makes sense, with a small CU in each room?

Once the sub-main backbone is in place, each room can be done one at a time, RCD protection is on a room basis so doesn't affect anything else, any future work is easy as each room can be isolated independently....

^that does makes sense BAS, i would say if your going to rcd then your going to need a lot of them, when people start plugging in laptops (as is common in hotels) the earth leakage will soon add up and you need to avoid nuisance tripping.

circuits are as follows

1x cleaners socket in corridor
2x corridor light circuits (dont know why)
6x ring ( 1 each room)
6x light circuits (1 each room)
2x radials to office
1x boiler
1x officce lights
1x outdoor/welcome lights

The place is already wired so its only fuseboard upgrade - along with bury cables in wall to get rid of mini trunking etc

All test results were good except the shed which requires further investigation,

The EM lights are all wired from each local circuit with a key switch next to each

Im not doing a total rewire just upgrading and general tidying up where required, its a very old building with many changes over the years, eg the office was part of the corridor originally which is why the wiring is all over the place

Thanks for all your great advice/feed back lads

when people start plugging in laptops (as is common in hotels) the earth leakage will soon add up and you need to avoid nuisance tripping.
Are most laptops not class 3? Mine only has a 2 core cable to the transformer.

The place is already wired so its only fuseboard upgrade - along with bury cables in wall to get rid of mini trunking etc
A couple of dual (not split) boards, giving you 4 RCDs to distribute circuits across?

Or 20 RCBOs? (What's their budget? ;) )

I see no fire/smoke alarms on your list of circuits...

My last 4 laptops all used figure of 8 connectors to supply the switch mode PSU.

My last 4 laptops all used figure of 8 connectors to supply the switch mode PSU.

Is that not class 2?

EDIT - Hmmmm

Class III Apparatus operates on safety extra low voltage (selv) i.e. at a voltage not exceeding 50V AC between conductors or to earth. The apparatus has basic insulation only and unearthed metalwork.

Class III motor operated tools are not widely used in the UK as they are difficult to obtain. They are larger than comparable mains voltage tools and larger cables have to be used to avoid volt drop problems. 50V or 25V handlamps, soldering irons and special purpose heaters are commonly used.

While the isolating transformer provides the essential electrical separation from the mains supply, some users also choose to earth the centre tap of the low voltage winding of the transformer and also earth the exposed metalwork of the apparatus. This is strictly speaking a Class I extra low voltage installation with a line-earth voltage of half the system voltage.

Class III equipment should not be fitted with plugs or connectors of a type standardised for operation at mains voltage.

Testing Class III Equipment

Class III equipment is designed to be supplied by a reduced voltage which is normally 110V. Portable Appliance Testers are usually rated to operate at 240V and manufacturers usually provide each model in two versions to be able to test class III apparatus separately.

Source

The PSU is on the one I am using at the moment is double insulated yep, the laptop itself is class 3 so shouldn't create any earth leakage.
SELV = Separated Extra low voltage?
110v CTE = Reduced low voltage?? Most of our 110v items at work are either class 1 or 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back