Quick Immersion Heater question - rewiring help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post here so be gentle!

I'm a complete novice at this so here's what i need to do.

We've got an immersion heater in a cupboard in the bedroom. It has a switch on the wall next to it with a wire leading to the tank.

When we want hot water I switch it on, wait for a bit, then switch it off, and voila, hot water! However if i forget to switch it on, the wife gets annoyed!

I've bought a timer which looks like it'll do the job i need, although i thought it would be a replacement for this switch, but it takes the switch wire as an input and then feeds the heater itself.

My question is, the existing wire is rather short, there's no way i can feed it into this new timer then back into the heater. Now i know there's loads of different power cable ratings, so i need to know which one i need to be able to take the load ok.

Thanks in advance.

Axum

Sponsored Links
bear with me, i should have a picture shortly...

Current wall-switch :

Image00001.jpg

Purchased Timer :

Image00002.jpg

Sponsored Links
You should be able to remove the flex completely from the existing switch, and take this to your new timer.

Then you need to install a link between the existing switch and your timer.

3 core 1.5mm² flex will be fine for this.

You must not simply replace the switch with the timer. A local DP isolator is required by BS7671 (the wiring regulations)

It should be heat resisting immersion flex that is used for the link, min 1.5.sq.mm. size.
If in any doubt, call in a professional electrician.

Why should it?

The switch doesn't get warm, and neither does that bit of flex.

The flex from the timer to the immersion should be, and already is heat resisting

Really appreciate the answers guys, really helps me a lot.

Just to confirm :

Take the wire out of the existing switch
Feed that wire into the timer (thus connecting the heater and timer)
Get new 1.5mm wire and connect the timer and the switch together

I think that's it ?

There is a cylinder jacket, it's just hidden under that tatty old blanket.

Do you guys think this would be a better option ? Seems like a straight swap to me ?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFST17.html

Thanks again.

Yes, that would also do the job.

But you've already bought the Timeguard.

The one from TLC will be £50 by the time you add carriage and VAT (TLC prices are ex-VAT)

Well i've found the receipt for the first timer.

I just think that other one is going to save me hassle. It should replace the switch on thw wall directly shouldn't it ?

That means i don't have to drill the timer into the wall, buy a new length of cable, and have 2 sets of cables running everywhere, what do you think ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back