quick reply needed please folks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a corgi registered plumber that has just wired a new central heating circ pump in, but he wired the live into the earth and earth into the live... i told him what he had done but only after he flashed the system back up and couldn't work out why the system didn't react how he thought. Now, the conventional boiler flashes on and off every 1-2 seconds wihtout actually staying on. Worst case scenario, whats he done?
Cheers.

PS. i copied this post to Electric UK too.

Sponsored Links
Connecting live to earth will result in a blown fuse. If the fuse rating is correct it should protect other items on the line, but if the fuse rating is too high (e.g. 13 amp instead of 3 amp) it's possible that other items are damaged. You don't say what boiler you have so the flashing (lights?) doesn't mean much.

if he has transposed live & earth surely fuse should blow i'd be mor worried that it hasn't

Hi,

Sorry I can't answer your question about the potential damage the guy might have done, but it is a very serious 'mistake' for him to make. I would get advice on who to report this chap too - he may be a wonderful plumber, but his electrical skills leave a lot to be desired and could have had VERY nasty consequences :eek:

Earth connections should be attached to the main water pipe, so in effect - he created a live circuit through your pipe network and anything metal attached to them - i.e. sink. Touching any of these could have been very dangerous :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yep i am worried that the fuse didn't blow...
The boiler is a Glow Worn Ultimate 40. When i said flashing, i meant flashing up, i.e turning on the boiler. Seems to be ok now, i just hope he has not done anylong term damage to anything.
Cheers for the replies.

Gert_Lush said:
PS. i copied this post to Electric UK too.

why? no point in asking twice. your not gonna get a reply quicker. i think in future i should copy all my questions to each subforum, just to get more attention and a quicker reply

the fuse didn't blow...
If someone connected live to earth and it didn't blow a fuse you have a potentially dangerous situation. Get it checked over by someone competent.

i asked twice as i wanted to know the wider impacts to my electrics as well as my CH system.
But you are right, a decent sparky is next on my phone call list to check this out.

Maybe he just connected to an earth wire which was actually used as a conductor in the control circuits. It's quite common for earth wires (green/yellow) in three-core flex to be used as conductors from cylinder stats for example, although not approved of. Could this have been the case?

Duh... :oops:
Having brain fade here - have you got plastic pipes?

No, the flex was standard blue, brown, green/yellow. The connections on the pump were clearly marked. The wiring was conventional.
There doesn't seem to be any harm done to the system, so panic over hopefully!

ChrisR said:
all he's done is connect a pump between L and E. He hasn't connected L TO E.
Not as I understand it. We're told that the live to the pump was connected to the earth terminal of the pump. When switched on the current would flow to earth via the pump body and connecting pipework, blowing the 3 amp fuse in the process. But that didn't happen, apparently. So something somewhere is not right.

do u have an all copper system or do u have plastic pipework as well.

GARY-M
it should not cause everything to go live , this is the point of cross bonding& earthing.
if i reported everyinstance where a mistake was made i wouldnt get any work done.

All copper pipes in my system...

Lor: If it does not cause the whole system to go live, is this why the fuse/mcb did not pop?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back