radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an unused 2.5 cable coming from my cu protected by a 16amp fuse.Could I run two double sockets and two single sockets off this cable as a radial cicuit.Would I have to notify this work if it was possible to do.The circuit would be in the kitchen area.Regards.

Sponsored Links
I can be done, but you guessed. Needs to be notified as it is in the Kitchen.
Best think about using 20A breaker on circuit.

As long as cable not completely surrounded by insulation for more than 500mm along its length that setup is fine. Existing circuit so no generally no notification required for adding sockets, but in kitchen you would need to. For the purposes of this law, kitchen considered to be within 3m of a sink if open plan, and I guess it's up to you what open-plan means. If your kitchen is that big then throw a table and chair in there and call it open plan :) Reference Table 7.1 in On Site guide, Part P Statutory instrument, Approved Doc P if you want to read it yourself.

Hello,
Is the circuit going to have RCD protection ? ;) .

Ed

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,the circuit is protected by a MEM M6 type1 16amp breaker,is this an rcd?.The two double sockets will be above the work top and then ,coming off the sockets, two fcu ,s will feed the two single sockets for a fridge and a freezer.So will this be ok and is the circuit breaker ok.

Hi

This is an MCB. You would need to check your CU to see if this is protected by an RCD.

If you post a pic, then someone should be able to advise you.

Regards

G

that breaker is undersized for the purpose you want. poor design. Due to this being in a kitchen then you will use more than 16 Amps at one time.

Have abandoned the idea of a radial and am now going to get a sparks in to either extend ring or put fridge and freezer on its own ring using the mcb.Concerning the post about the RCD,my cu is a Memera 21 and it houses 6 mcb cartridges with a main on off switch where does rcd come into things and is my cu needed to be upgraded

a new cu may solve a few problems. it will give you appropriate RCD protection if you don't already have it. it would also allow you an option of getting a 20A MCB which could possibly run the proposed radial circuit you were considering. your electrician may of course prefer to extend the ring circuit/add a new ring circuit. i suppose whatever is the least upheaval is what you will get.

Have abandoned the idea of a radial and am now going to get a sparks in to either extend ring or put fridge and freezer on its own ring using the mcb.Concerning the post about the RCD,my cu is a Memera 21 and it houses 6 mcb cartridges with a main on off switch where does rcd come into things and is my cu needed to be upgraded

there would be little point forming a new ring with that 16A MCB, only than it being ready for a future upgrade to a 32A MCB.

do you not think you have RCD protection at the existing CU?
RCCB may be written somewhere if it doesn't say RCD. an RCD should have a test button on it, and should be 30 mA.

I can't get my head round this RCD bit,Is it something that can be fitted to the CU that already houses MCB,s.I always though they were basically the same thing RCD andMCB.Are my electrics ok with the MCB set up .
thanks for your replies.By the way have enquired with South Yorks LABC and they charge £181.00 to pass new circuits as ok.

an RCD is not the same as an MCB. an RCD gives further protection and will cut out under certain fault conditions far quicker, in layman's terms.
they are now required on practically every circuit now, depending on wiring methods etc, but especially on sockets and more importantly additional sockets. wiring buried in a wall less than 50 mm deep should be protected by an RCD.

in most cases RCDs are fitted within in the CU.

an RCBO is basically an MCB with an RCD built into it. it has a separate test button. i don't think you have these. perhaps you can confirm.

your CU may not be able to house RCBOs. pictures...

I cannot post pics yet,waiting for daughter to show me how,One other thing I will be having a loft conversion next month and the builder has quoted for double sockets and lights and final testing.I presume the electrician he employers will have to run these ccts to current regs so will this mean a new CU with RCD fitted .The CU I have at the moment only has the 16 amp mcb spare.

One other thing I will be having a loft conversion next month and the builder has quoted for double sockets and lights and final testing.I presume the electrician he employers will have to run these ccts to current regs so will this mean a new CU with RCD fitted .The CU I have at the moment only has the 16 amp mcb spare.
You should find out/specify how the spark will achieve this. Make sure he is registered here as the new circuits will require notification to LABC.

Is your exisitng CU RCD protected? If you have a spare slot in your CU then he may be able to run the sockets from here. Or possibly extend the ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back