radial

He may plan to extend the upstairs ring & lighting circuits BUT

all new work must comply with the latest regulations and (for you) that means these circuits must be RCD protected.

Sponsored Links
So it looks like he will have to renew/replace my consumer unit then to comply as I think the old CU only has mcb,s.The builder is on the councils list for doing council loft conversions so he should be okay and up to date with things.
Have any of you guys done wiring for loft conversions,I have a bungalow so all the cables are exposed in the loft at present but have to say they look a bit of a jumble for sorting out for when the new floor goes down which obviously will cover everything .

So it looks like he will have to renew/replace my consumer unit then to comply as I think the old CU only has mcb,s.The builder is on the councils list for doing council loft conversions so he should be okay and up to date with things.
If the builder is changing consumer units and installing new circuits then being on the 'council list' may be irrelavant. He must be able to self certify or notify this electrical work to LABC prior to starting it.

Have any of you guys done wiring for loft conversions,I have a bungalow so all the cables are exposed in the loft at present but have to say they look a bit of a jumble for sorting out for when the new floor goes down which obviously will cover everything.
Interesting point - do 'accessible' junction boxes in the loft just get covered with the new flooring and become no longer accessible? Doesn't sound ideal but im not sure what would be done in practice. :?:

Sponsored Links
The JBs would need sorting if they become not accessible.

You'll need Building Regs if the loft is being converted into a habitable space. As a part of this your Building Control will expect notifiaction from a registered electrician, not from a general builder.
The builder may himeslf be registered or he may sub out the electrics to a registered guy. In either case they should be here: www.competentperson.co.uk

NOTE: to change a consumer unit the electrician/builder must be registered as a FULL SCOPE electrician.
Some are registered to do limited works but that does not include changing a consumer unit.

thanks for the replies,the builder has a plumber and a sparks who do this side of the job ,architect plans and relevant calulations for loads etc have gone to BC who now require to be informed of the commencement of work.

i have no idea how old your property is, or the wiring but make sure your downstairs lighting wiring is in good nick before the loft conversion is completed. if it's over 40 years it may not have an earth and will need changing. hopefully you've got good new wiring.

Going off the original post a bit here,When I pay the BC charges does their fees cover all notifiable work associated with the loft conversion,building work ,electrical.I know I can ring them tomorrow and get the answer but out of curiosty today would this assumption be correct.

Going off the original post a bit here,When I pay the BC charges does their fees cover all notifiable work associated with the loft conversion,building work ,electrical.I know I can ring them tomorrow and get the answer but out of curiosty today would this assumption be correct.
If you have applied for the conversion and put all the details within that application of what work is to be done, a fee will be charge pro rata to the cost of the work, this is the value it would take a builder to do and not some DIYer try to cut cost so the fee is less.
Then all that work is covered by the application.

If the electrician is registered to self-certify then it's irrelevant what the council charge for, but if you DIY don't be surprised if the council act as if it isn't all covered, and despite you having paid the fee still insist that you arrange an independent inspection and testing of the electrics, at your expense, or ask you to pay more on top for them to arrange it.

They aren't allowed to do this - they law is quite clear that it's not a requirement, the Government's official guidance is that they are not to do it, and they have all had explicit instructions from the Department for Communities and Local Government not to do it, but sadly many just ignore all that, and essentially say to people "take us to court if you dare".

The work wil not be DIY but out of curiosity I did enquire to BC about the cost of certifying a new circuit and they quoted £181.00 .They did sugest that it would be cheaper to employ a trician.

It would certainly be cheaper to use an electrician than it would be to DIY it properly, i.e. also testing and certifying it.

If you have paid for Building regs for the conversion then surely this includes the electrical work?
In that case there's no more to pay - so lang as the electrician can self notify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back