Radiator has both pipes on one side?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace one of my downstairs radiators, but it has 2 really thin pipes coming out the wall and straight into the right hand side of the radiator.. can i replace with a normal radiator or do i need to separate the small pipes, convert to 15mm and put them on either side of the new radiator?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will have to seperate them and have valves either side. Modern rads wont take twin entry valves which have a tube that feeds into rad. No need to take upto fifteen mm though just run extend them in the existing size probably 8mm an use same size valves

Not necessarily!

If its a single panel with a 1/2" tapping at top and bottom AND the tapping is straight into the rad and not offset then you could as long as ( normally ) the bottom connection has a way of extending the flow towards the other side of the rad.

I had an amusing query from a plumber once. He had a rad with 1/2" tappings at top an d bottom and it was completely symetrical and he did not know which way up it should be fitted!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies..

The existing radiator looks exactly like normal ones should with 4x 1/2" valves(top right has air valve, bottom left has a valve for hose pipe, bottom right going to twin valve/water input/output). It looks like i could turn it upside down.

I assume new radiators must have water in on the right and water out on the left, so I'll just have to seperate the twin pipes and extend one of them to go to the far left side of new radiator .. they look like 8mm pipes.

Many thanks for help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back