Radiator leak - from around temperature control pin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have a leak from a radiator but it isn’t from the valve, most google results seem to relate to issues people have had with valves.
The leak is from the bottom of the temperature control pin.

It’s a small radiator in our box room, it’s only had my shirt rack, ironing board, weights in it and so we’ve had the radiator off for the last year.

When trying to turn it back on again the control knob was very stiff and after turning it on the leak became apparent.

The pin now moves freely.
I don’t know if we can get a socket on the hexagon nut around it and loosen and retighten it or if that wont make any difference ?
Or is it likely that the whole valve will need replacing anyway?

The leak is where the arrow is pointing, is definitely there rather than round the sides

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Mobile Uploads/image_zps1d796162.jpg

Sponsored Links
Undoing that hexagon will release the valve insert and allow a flood......its an elderly valve with no real cure, although the leak may take up a little after a while. It needs a new valve, really.
John :)

Thanks for the quick response

Will get on with reading up on how to change a valve without draining the system

Sponsored Links
The 'pin' is a flow control, not a temperature control. It's a normal rad valve, not a TRV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back