Radiator not centred between pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As the title says, here a radiator that was replaced but obviously it wasn't as wide as the last one and the plumber added what looks like a small piece of chrome pipe between the thermostatic valve and radiator, is that what it is? I want to centre it whilst I have it off for painting so is it just a case adding a piece of pipe to the left side? Do I need to use olives? PS: What are the earthing wires for?

Thanks in advance

2017_01_19_PHOTO_00009361.jpg

Sponsored Links
Maybe I should have Googled beforehand. Not chrome piping but "valve tails". And copper pipes are earthed (or is it "bonded"?) to metal radiators to prevent shocks. Would I need a "radiator union" or "compression valve tail"?

id put one back the right size but failing that equal sized extenders on each side.

Sponsored Links
Councils round here went mad years ago adding all that supplementary bonding to every single pipe they could get their hands on. If that TRV side pipe has any wobble/give I wonder how long before it leaks.

yeah that should be fine, the only issue is the tail length when aligning the radiator if your wanting it centre. Are you comfortable with removing a radiator though? i.e. closing off other radiators, draining the water out, undoing the nuts, taking it off the wall and refilling/pressurising the system and removing air etc...? If your not careful when undoing the valve nuts, you can bend the pipe and cause a leak.

EDIT: you should also use PTFE tape

Last edited:
yeah that should be fine, the only issue is the tail length when aligning the radiator if your wanting it centre. Are you comfortable with removing a radiator though? i.e. draining the water out, undoing the nuts, taking it off the wall and refilling/pressurising the system and removing air etc...? Just be carful because if your not careful when undoing the valve nuts, you can bend the pipe and cause a leak.

Many thanks mate. Yeah I am comfortable enough doing that. I'm a competent type when it comes to stuff like that but I make sure and do my homework first so as to try and avoid any mishaps. When you say "pressurising the system" can you elaborate? FYI it's a gas heating system with a Baxi. It's not Combi.

just measure the distance of the current tail on the right, divide it by 2 and get two tail extentions that size and refit. may have to alter the brackets. speak to council sparks about the bonding being reconnected.

Thanks guys managed to get it all sorted. Just added a tail to the other side and centred the radiator.

one consideration your going to take it closer to pan just dont spread the legs to wide when having a sh#te

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back