Radiator Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a problem in my Daughters bedroom with a Rad. Tried the tapping of TRV which seemed to sort it out. However, the rad in the bathroom has now gone stone cold. Not just the rad but at least 1.5 feet of pipework.

It seems that these 2 rads are working in tandem to drive me mental!. The other 2 rads on the 1st floor are working fine & I've bled everything.

I've had trouble with the bathroom rad but it was nothing that regular bleeding didn't solve (once a week, which is quite worrying as it seems to point to a leak somewhere),

Has anybody got any idea's?

Additionally I am running the original boiler which was in the house when I moved in as I cannot afford a new one at the moment. It's a Concord WRS (not sire of the model), it has been second to none & has only had one problem with relighting the pilot after a powercut!

Sponsored Links
You could have air in the pipe feeding the radiators. With the central heating switched "on" and the hot water "off" try turning off all of the radiators except the problem two & open their TRV's full. This will put all of the force of the pump on the problem two (you may have to do this one at a time), which may clear it.

Air in a system does not necessarily mean a leak. Often it is bad system design, or the water in the radiators does not have corrosion inhibitor in so the steel corrodes and gives off gas which has to be vented. The corrosion process also creates a black sludge which can also cause problems. If this is the case, it will need to be cleaned/flushed. there's plenty of info on here if you try a search.

It sounds like a combination of poor design/installation, and longterm lack of maintenance.
The only solution for faulty piping is to redo it in the correct way. The lack of maintenance will have lead to corrosion and all the damage related to that. The only way to tackle that is systematically checking all the components and servicing/repairing/replacing as needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back