radiator valve leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when the rads arent on i have noticed a tiny weep as the vale as it connects to the radiaotr (99% sure its not from the glad nut) and it seems to be just at the back of nut, looks like someone has been there before as i can see/feels some what looks like sealing compound, brown stuff,

do i just nipp it up???

seems to be were the valve ext joins the valve it self (silver nut)

Sponsored Links
You should be able to tighten it.

Use a pair of grips or the like to hold the valve still while you tighten the nut with a spanner.

If you can't stop the weep, post back

thanks is the bit its leaking from called the cap nut

does the cap nut have an olive / should it have ptfe,

Sponsored Links
If your valve is the same as the picture ( their are mainly two different types)

Then it is the tail, and this is a nut and olive. Sometimes they need nipping up, sometimes the valve needs knocking on the the tail a little, if that's the case, don't undo it, give a tap from the side of the valve to see if it knocks on a bit, and then tighten.

This wouldn't normally need ptfe. Make sure you hold the valve still while you tighten, using grips around the valve in the opposite direction to the way you are tightening the nut

Phew!

As stated that particular brand is olive based, older tails will have a slightly malleable edge face on the tail which will form a seal around the valve. If I'm putting back an old valve back on I always sand down the edge with some emery cloth and apply a tiny amount of boss white to the face and nip up. :D

tried to nip this nut up, to no avail, didnt work - didnt want to put to much pressure on it, still have a tiny weep (say the size of a pin head) every few hours) hardly nothing,

worth while worrying about??

most of the time ill check it and there wont be anything then there is a tiny drop

suggestions thanks

Shut the valves either end of the rad, put a tray underneath, loosen the nut off, take off a length of ptfe, put three turns around the olive, re tighten,open rad valves., bleed rad

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back