Radiators are hot when only hot water is required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a conventional boiler system (immersion tank but no combi) and I have noticed recently that when I select 'WATER ONLY' on my controller, all my radiators become hot !

Its becoming a little unbearable in this hot weather.

Anyone any idea's and any advice on what I can do to fix this, initlally without calling a plumber.

Ta !

Sponsored Links
Problem with the motorised valve. Can you tell us which one you have?

To fix it without calling a plumber turn off each radiator!

Why dont you want to call a plumber? Do you want plumbers to starve?

Tony

Sorry for the delay !!

The motorised valve is A Potterton MSV322 which has LED's for Central Heating and Domestic Hot Water.

When the appropriate function is selected then the LED's correspond as expected, i.e. When Hot Water is selected on the controller, the Domestic Hot Water LED is illuminated..

Regards,

Nel

PS: As for not calling a plumber, why should I when I can gain knowledge and understanding of my CH system using this forum and potentially save money. I'll only call one when the repair is beyond my scope - I'm the only judge of that.

Sponsored Links
That`s the programmer not the motorised valve........

Nige those MV's DO have led's on them. They're the two-tone Myson/Potterton ones.
I think I used to know whether the LED's come on according to what the valve is supposed to do or what it has actually done, but I'm not sure if I've forgotten whether I ever knew that or not.. :(

If you take the head (plastic bit) off the body (brass) you'll find a shaft which should turn freely. You might find it's all leaky and seized.

Chris is not sure if he has forgotten. I think he has forgotten!

Since the OP has stated that the lights are on as expected than I would infer that it shows what its expected to have done but its not actually done that.

As stated above the head should be removed and the shaft checked for free movement.

If it moves freely then the head or motor is faulty.

Tony

Ah No! I'm certain that I don't know if I've forgotten.
But you may NOT infer what you do!

It could be that the HEAD has done the right thing, but the gubbins in the valve part is "letting by".

Perhaps I could have been wrong in the first place, or now, certainly.

Gents, (& Ladies if any),

I unscrewed the electronics from the valve and I saw a rotary semi-circular shaft on the valve itself. This I was able to rotate with little resistance.

The electronics box contained a female insert where I assume the shaft locates into. When the system was activated to either Water+CH or to Water Only, the insert rotated as expected.

I assume that the motorised valve is OK.

Any more idea's ?

Nilesh, why not use the same internet talents that found this site and find the telephone number or email address of Potterton then put the question to their technical manager? You never know, he might say "Ah yes, the old MSV322 - we did have a few issues with that...."

I have wrangled all kinds of replacement parts and advice over the years by going straight to the source.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back