Radiators Cold: 3 Engineers been and gone and done nothing

TMG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. Have had various engineers to service Keston boiler and see why downstairs radiators not working whilst upstairs radiators are fine. Downstairs radiators were were working initially when bled, then went off when upstairs radiators were bled. Two downstairs radiators are leaking slightly. Pressure was down but now back to normal. One small radiator was working but started to leak water badly and has just gone off.

Nearly Christmas, no heating downstairs, Gas engineer abandoned job and left after claiming gas meter not working (even though man came to take reading couple of weeks ago and billed us heavily since) so he could not continue his tests.

Copper pipes under radiator look a little blue. Could this be a problem?

Only five radiators not working - all downstairs. Pipes at bottom stone cold. Upstairs ones OK.

Sponsored Links
Is your pump running when there is a call for heat?

If not that's probably the problem. If it is close all upstairs rads, downstairs should heat up, if so you need to balance.

Turned down upstairs radiators.

pump is working but I'm not sure to what degree. First dowstairs radiator inlet pipe (the bit where the valve is) got ever so slighty warm then started to leak slightly suddenly. The actual radiator and outlet pipe is stone cold.

All the other downstairs raidators are stone cold. The pump "seems" to be running.

You need to be certain that it is running.

With a call for heat put the tip of a screw driver against pump body and an ear to the handle end, like a stethoscope. It will be obvious if it is running.

Turn pump up to 3, close upstairs rads and make sure all downstairs rads are open.

Where are the leaks from exactly?

Sponsored Links
leaks look like they are from valve (how do i find out?).

pump is running. now one downstairs radiator is slightly warm i.e. working, the other pipe (the one in the kitchen that was slightly warm before) is a little warmer but radiator is still not warming up.

every single upstairs radiator turned completely off. I notice the pressure has dropped slightly.

It's looking like the radiators are blocked or there is an air lock. Is it possible the radiators are blocked as the whole system (and house) is less than 4 years old?

The boiler appears to be working ok - yes?

What system do you have? What type of boiler

Close all but one rad. Does it get hot?

If you mean it was a new build house 4 years ago, then as it sounds like a sealed system boiler I would doubt you have any blockages due to sludge etc.

I personally would go for the pump faulty, they can spin and change speed with the knob on them but still not circulate.

With all upstairs rads closed and the pump "running" do the pipes on flow side of pump heat up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back