Raditator Leak coming from the top left nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could someone tell me how I stop a very slow leak.

On the top left of my radiator there is a large nut ( opposite end of the bleed valve ) and it appears there is a very slow leak coming from it, what is the purpose of this nut and how do I stop the leak?

I was thinking perhaps I could isolate the radiator and drain it then remove the nut somehow and apply plumbers tape round the threads, the question is how do you remove that nut as i'm sure i don't have the right spanner for the job.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its probably a blanking plug, to allow you to put the bleed valve at whichever end you choose.
Isolate the radiator, remove the nut, apply PTFE tape or sealant and screw it back in - then bleed the rad.
John :)

If you can turn off the two rad valves then all you need to do is loosen the nut and let the water that comes out soak into an old towel. It will only be about 1/2 a litre.

Then as long as the thread has not corroded too badly you will probably be able to seal the thread with about five turns of PTFE tape.

If you want to do DIY work of any kind then you do need to buy some tools. Without seeing it I cannot say what you need but usually a 12" adjustable spanner.

If you were in Warwick/Leamington then its very badly served by DIY stores as there are no Wickes, Toolstation or Screwfix. ( One in Stratford though ). Cov is better served.

Do you know the Castle Balti?

Tony

If you have a high pressure system it might be worth bleeding the rad first into a bowl just to release the pressure. Then remove the nut. If it's a modern radiator, you may find that the nut has a rubber washer/o ring on it which can be replaced or wrapped in ptfe tape.

Sponsored Links
If you were in Warwick/Leamington then its very badly served by DIY stores as there are no Wickes, Toolstation or Screwfix. ( One in Stratford though ). Cov is better served.

Do you know the Castle Balti?

Tony

What happened to the tool station in Leamington?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back