Raised Storage Platform - Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am planning to fit a raised storage platform in my garage. I will be supporting it on two wall plates. My questions is what is the best way to fix these onto the walls? I was thinking Rawlbolt type fixings but wanted confirmation. Or any better ideas anyone?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Need more info,

Also what are you going to put on your storage platform ? What height ? What type of roof, pitch, lean-to, flat etc...........

masona said:
Need more info,

Also what are you going to put on your storage platform ? What height ? What type of roof, pitch, lean-to, flat etc...........
Thanks Masona -The garage is of brick construction and has a pitched roof. The platform will be about 7'-0" from the ground level. The timbers are standard floor joists and the span about 8'-0" and will be spaced at similar intervals to floor joist. Load will comprise mixture of empty storage boxes and generally the sort of stuff that others might store in the loft.

Sponsored Links
The simple way would be to use heavy duty joists hanger off the wall plate and fit joists between the joists hanger at 400mm centre (make sure no movement in between the joists hanger to prevent falling down).

Or you can rest the joists on the wallplate instead and fix it to the side of the roof rafters. Not sure where the height you want.

masona said:
The simple way would be to use heavy duty joists hanger off the wall plate and fit joists between the joists hanger at 400mm centre (make sure no movement in between the joists hanger to prevent falling down).

Or you can rest the joists on the wallplate instead and fix it to the side of the roof rafters. Not sure where the height you want.
Thanks for that advice but what is best way to fix wall plates to the brick walls either side? The height above the platform will be adequate for what we want it for (about 6'-00" or so)

I was thinking the wallplate was the right height from the roof rafter. If you want it lower than that, then rawbolts wallplate on the height you want onto the side wall and use joists hanger onto it or you could rest the joists on top of it.

masona said:
I was thinking the wallplate was the right height from the roof rafter. If you want it lower than that, then rawbolts wallplate on the height you want onto the side wall and use joists hanger onto it or you could rest the joists on top of it.
Many thanks for that much aprreciated. Now just got to clear enough junk to get access to the walls. Have a good weekend.

Forgot to add, a minimum 100 x 50 mm joist for a 8' span, 400mm centre.

masona said:
Forgot to add, a minimum 100 x 50 mm joist for a 8' span, 400mm centre.
Playing safe the stuff I have is 130 x 50 mm. Again many thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back