Range Cooker problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently renovated a kitchen on the basis of putting a rangecooker in a chimney breast which was existing. The inside has been all tiled and i have a cooker hood above just on re circulate.

The problem i have is i had a plumber come out to connect the gas and he said he wasnt willing to do it as the specification in the manual said any adjoining wall should be at least 150mm away from the sides of the cooker - its a 90cm range cooker and the space is around 91.5cm so clearly i dont have that and the reason cited was for pan handles to be to the side. But this would only apply to the back 2 burners as the two at the front would be forwrad of the wall anyway.

He said my options were to either get a smaller cooker - but in my view this would look stupid with such a large space to the sides. Or he said get someone else and they would probly fit it but he wasnt willing.

So my question is really is this that bigger issue there is sufficient space to have handles diagonally angled to the back of the cooker and i dont see it as a problem but obviously he did. I have seen numerous exaples of range cookers and argas within chimneys so dont understand the issue.

Help would be apreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The issue is the manufacturers instructions!
Installers for services such as gas and electric have to comply to them, if a problem was to arise from the potential hazards of the pan handles, the installer could/would? be held responsible.
So often you will find some not all, will walk away. It's blame and claim society, so it's a case of one protecting ones rectum.

So you can have it sandwiched between two chipboard cabinets but not against a wall. As you say, they open straight out anyway. Just get someone else. it's no wonder people end up doing diy gas.

Had it with my fire, two blokes came round and said ' No, no, can't fit that mate blah bla healtha nd safety''. Next bloke came round and fitted it no problem and did do all the tests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back