Ravenheat boiler malfunction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2.5 year old Ravenheat rsf84et fires when I turn the room stat up. It burns for about half an hour and the radiators are hot. It then switches on and off fairly rapidly, 45 seconds on and approximately 2 minutes off. The radiators gradually cool down. This process will carries on until the radiators are cool. I have had the circuit board changed but this hasn't worked. The room stat has been disconnected to see if this was faulty and the fault persisted. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say without seeing it as always...

a) Could be your APS when it gets hot it's contacts are not engaging properly causing it to fail to recognize the fan running. What is your hot water like during the "cycling" problem?

b) Possibly your CH Thermistor.

My two cents.

Forgive my ignorance, what is the APS?

The DHW is not connected, I have a multipoint too

APS = Air Pressure Switch.

From memory; this appliance is a dual pass heat exchanger which means that it needs a cold water mains supply connected; has this been done?

Sponsored Links
The only supply is through the filling loop (currently disconnected)

Correct me if I'm wrong; but this is boiler GC: 47-581-28A

As such it's a combi yes?

And to confirm; there is no cold mains connected and as such, was never commissioned as per the M.I's?

I don't know the GC number, yes it is a combi, the cold mains is not connected and I don't know what MI is.

Whilst your boiler is a combi, is the heating of hot water function not being used?

There seems to be a design fault on this model that I have never had the paid for time to sort out.

It does not seem to have an anti cycling delay on CH.

If there is a CH range rating then its clearly not correctly set on your boiler.

You may need a competent boiler engineer.

Tony

Bearing in mind the apparent unreliability of these boilers I am considering replacing it ( the engineer who replaced the PCB advised this). The impression I am getting from the responses is that a combi boiler is not appropriate if you only want the boiler for CH and not for hot water. I would like to maintain the principle of having a sealed CH system and a separate water heater. If a combi is not appropriate, what is?

CH thermistor ... One on the right

My advice is to change the guy who wrongly replaced the pcb rather than the boiler.

They are a bit quirky. Do the thermistors, check that the flue restrictor ring has the venturi tube connection at 90º to the direction of the flue and after that you can use logic to get to the problem.

Ravenheat have an approved installers list. You live near their training centre so shouldnt have much problem getting hold of one. Most other installers wont touch them because they come from B&Q and they are not familiar with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back