Ravenheat little star ( not aptly named)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help me.
i installed all my own rads and pipework in my home and i got a friend of mine to install the boiler (ravenheat LS 80-T). for 6 months it has worked just fine but now the central heating and the hot water are both clicking on and of all the time. 1- the hot water will will run hot and cold so getting a shower (coming through mixer tap) is a nightmare.
2- central heating runs up to a nice temp but then switches on and off every 2-3 seconds and you can hear something clicking. reading the manual it states that this boiler has anti cycling (3 mins). which i take it it means that once the boiler has reached its set temp it will switch the burner off for at least 3 mins before firing up. the presure is fine (1.1-cold and 1.5 when at full temp)
both these faults occured at the same time. could it be the potentiometers, i also tried loosening off the CH themostat a little to see if it was that but still switches on-off. i made sure the auto are vent at the boiler was loosened offto let any air be released. i also tried all three settings on the pump. you may be thinking i should get the 'friend' back who installed the boiler but he is not corgi registered till next month ( i know now i was stupid getting him to fit it _ doh) he said he will commision it as soon as he is corgi registered but he is out of the country at the moment.
can you help with any advice on how to fix. thanx :cry:

Sponsored Links
u naughty boy.

wont ravenheat come out on a warranty ?

havent tried ravenheat yet as they will want to know who fitted the boiler. they will probably tell me that the warranty is void as it wasn,t installed by a corgi plumber

really

just one thing
ha ha ha ha

more fool you there is no short cuts to a good job

Ravenheat will want to see the benchmark and whether the installation has been reported to CORGI, oh yes they will know if it hasn't been, so not only has your "friend" put you in harms way but you now are in contravention of the building regs! oh dear oh dear

not such a cheap job now is it?

Sponsored Links
If its genuinely a fault with the boiler then Ravenheat will repair it under the warranty even if it was installed by a non registered person. They should report him to CORGI though. He is very irresponsible!

However, we know that he is not registered and we also expect that he is not experienced. It is very likely that he has not installed it properly and that will not be covered by the warranty!

The most common fault is caused by dirt in the system because it has not been power flushed. Did he use a noisy pump and spend about FIVE hours rushing around the house fiddling with each radiator in turn???

Tony

no he did not flush the sytem with anything except water. does the system need flushing when it is a whole new central heating system( new rads, new copper pipe)

yes

All new installation should be flushed due to debris such as flux solder etc and these can play havoc with boilers

do you think flushing the sytem now may solve this problem. also, i used pushfit connections on the pipework i installed their are only about 8 connections beneath the boiler that were soldered

it certainly seems to me that the main heat exchanger is partially blocked, but ravenheats are a complete dog (hence why they are sold in sheds and not many respectable stockists) so could be alsorts

I would rather be there with a flow cup, and water testing kit and a multimeter than give any opinions over the web, some of the others (agile, chrishutt, chrisR spring to mind) are better at this than I

ravenheats are a complete dog
That's what I thought till I made it my business to learn how to handle dogs. Admittedly the little star has got to be their worst creation but I make loads of money going round with a bucketfull of CH thermistors fixing them. Ok its not always that, but it does have to be ruled out before burning out any brain cells in my opinion, especially when the words 'running hot and cold' are used in the description The reason they go so often is as Tony says because the system hasnt been flushed properly. I know this sounds evil :evil: but today I was somewhat happy to come across the mother of the aforementioned dog ... another little star where the problem was something other than a 'usual' problem.

thanks for your replies guys ( ooh that rhymes) first off i will change that thermistor hopefully that will fix the problem and then i will flush the system with a cleanser - then water a couple of times - then put in an inhibiter, the plumber did not do any of these things he just flushed the sytem with water.
i will post again to keep everyone updated after all it is information that fixes problems that really is a big help.

p.s. i was in B&Q last night and they didnt have ravenheat little sh#t they now sell BIASI, are they any better?

many many thanks to all

biasi are ok (ask yourself why they are selling it a shed??) but getting bits for em is a bit of a bugger.

dont compound your problems by doing it yourself get a competent person in for the love of god, have you not been stung enough by your "friend"?

I still think the plate heat exchanger may be blocked.

The NTCs are easy to test electrically. You can see if they are at fault by removing the connector and putting a similar value fixed resistor in their place.

As far as I am aware B&Q still sell both Ravenheat and Biasi boilers. Their stock control is so poor that they were probably out of stock of Ravens for that month because you had bought one.

Parts for all these boilers should be available easily. Anyone with a problem can email me and I can post anything required.

Tony

good to know tony, cos biasi keep me wainting (via parts centre) two weeks for a plated heat exchanger

ravenheat the same diverter valve

Sime Three weeks for a PCB

Protherm were better just four days for a diverter valve assembly

Thats what I mean to them being a BIT of a bugger to get, I really didnt mean that they were impossible to get, they just are never kept on the shelves at the stockists

If this is how you took it and found it necessary to correct me I apologise

cos biasi keep me wainting (via parts centre) two weeks for a plated heat exchanger

I could have sent you one next day or you could have got it direct from Claire II at 01902 304400 although they do add a carriage charge.

Bits for Ravens are a little more difficult. I think you officially have to go to the shop to the right of their factory and get them there. Its also owned by Louis but its something like a freestanding alternative to B&Q so its not seen as competition.

Any problems with Sime, ask for Terry Cawfield who should be able to sort you out.

I dont have much faith in HRPC. I once ordered a fan for an obscure Sonya Duval storage combi. They kept me waiting for about two MONTHS and then suddenly had it there! THE LABEL SHOWED THAT IT HAD BEEN DELIVERED TO THEIR BRANCH WITHIN SEVEN DAYS OF MY ORDER !!!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back