rcd blowout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi any help please

repairman repaired dishwasher (snigger)
repairman went said all was ok (snigger again)
turned dishwasher on and poof all the electrics went in the house,
went to turn rcd back on and it wouldnt reset
called sparky ,he fix and say twas the dishwasher that blew but was unusual,
dishwasher man came back did pat test on dishwasher and all is ok couldnt have been dishwasher that blew it ,so he say ok to use machine and off he went ,luckely i tried dishwasher as soon as he went out of the door and (snigger) it didnt work ,lights flashing everywhere ,so i quicly run out and catch him b4 he go ,he come back and say (while scratching his chin) Oh! must be the control unit thats gone ,(what the same one you replaced 2 monthes ago ) would that have blown the rcd then i say , yes he say and off he go ,,big arguments with 3 insurance co, repair co, and whirlpool as to what will happen 1 we want machine replaced not repaired anymore and 2 we wnt one of those companys to pay for the emergency electrician i called out ,

so here is my question ,,,would the dishwasher have been able to completly kill the rcd,, and do you think they should cop the bill for the sparky ,,

ps just heard they are replacing the machine ,,

thankyou

Sponsored Links
stressedout said:
so here is my question ,,,would the dishwasher have been able to completly kill the rcd,, and do you think they should cop the bill for the sparky

It would appear that it did, how ever we can not prove that it did since we only have one side of the story ( i do not doubt you, but without seeing the dishwasher we can not really make a decision)

as for who pays for electrican that is a legal matter.

RCD is designed to disconnect in the event of a fault. It should still work afterwards, assuming it was operating within its normal specifications.

If something goes wrong (eg dishwasher), the RCD should disconnect and then go back on once the fault has been cleared. If it doesn't, then it sounds like the RCD has failed to work properly, and you should be suing the RCD manufacturers not the washing machine people.

Maybe they will say that there was a humongous current surge when the dishwasher failed which destroyed the RCD. In that case everyone might argue that it was bad circuit design, and down to the installing electrician.

There will be wear and tear on the RCD each time it disconnects. Did you try to switch it back on repeatedly while the faulty dishwasher was still connected?

Was the RCD working properly before, I mean did anyone ever use the test button to check it was ok?

I presume you did disconnect the washing machine before calling the sparks.... Otherwise maybe he just unplugged it and then ripped you off for a new RCD. Possibilities are endless, aren't they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back