RCD Hell

There is a metal bar to the side of the meter with a bare wire running to it from the meter and a chunky earth wire running into the CU. Does that mean it's a TT installation?

Sponsored Links
mrmark said:
There is a metal bar to the side of the meter with a bare wire running to it from the meter and a chunky earth wire running into the CU. Does that mean it's a TT installation?

there are diagrams on the reference section. if it has an earth coming from either the service fuse enclosure a clamp on the service cable, you do not have a TT supply

As supplied by Zenstalist in "for reference"

1107812024_earth1.gif

Cheers for that Scooby.

Well I had another sparky in today. This one from another company.

He did a couple of things.

First off, he moved my garage connection to the non RCD side of the CU, as the garage has it's own CU with MCB's installed.

Secondly, he identified an incorrectly wired switch and some dodge wiring under the bath. All now rectified.

He also discovered that the cooker hud and hob ignition where wired to the cooker curcuit, and has advised this be wired directly to the CU on it's own MCB.

All of which did not solve my lighting issue. In the end he disconnected everything from the CU and pointed out that the RCD was now triping on it's own. He has concluded that the problem must be with the RCD.

In the mean time everything has been moved to the none RCD side of the CU and the RCD removed for testing or replacement. The curcuits are still protected by the MCB's however.

He informed me that this would be ok in the short term.

I'll keep you posted.

Are there any services availble to fully test my electrical installation once all these problems have been eliminated. Something that could give me a full report to prove that everything is safe and up to scratch???

Sponsored Links
its called a periodic inspection report. ask the sparky for more details

Will do. Thank's Andrew.

Any idea how much one of these might cost?

andrew2022 said:
mrmark said:
Will do. Thank's Andrew.

Any idea how much one of these might cost?

see item 9 here
Think what your original spark :rolleyes: charged p.h. and double.

There are times (if you are mechanically /engineering minded, you buy a (the) book, lay all the wires, connect all sockets(, leave em off wall, switch plates/ roses too) and call in a spark, It'll take him not a long time to check your new wiring, be quick to fix (if you did it 'right' ) any small problems and will be over the moon if you do it right and he gets his call out fee + hourly rate.
Seriously though (and as you can probably tell I'm no sparky) the first fella you had in should've been wired to the mains 'til he found the fault.
Theres nowt wrong with doing home electrics IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Hey guys...

Just a quick update.

I'm still running minus an RCD. I think the new sparky has run off with it. Nonetheless, at least he left me in a working condition.

Anyway, I'll let you know the outcome, once we pop that RCD back in.

Mark

EEERM? The "new" "properly" qualified sparky has taken the RCD away and has not replaced it!? Then according to my basic understanding the installation does not meet various statutary requirements (eg RCD protection of outdoor useable sockets)? Suggest you contact the new sparky and ask him to rectify ASAP.

Others more knowledgeable than me may clarify the situation - but it doesn't sound right to me!

Stetsons are not classed as protective clothing!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back