RCD law in rented property from tenants perspective

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a rented property and have just had a sparky friend of mine round, who has informed me that under IEE regs, 17th edition, (jan 08?) it is illegal to not have any form of RCD in a rented property. Before I do anything, I'd like a second opinion on this. Can anyone advise?

(n.b. I have no RCD...!)

Sponsored Links
RCD's are required under certain circumstances - But there is no regulation that states "Rented = RCD", or similar. Ask your sparky friend to elaborate exactly why he thinks you require an RCD.

IEE regulations are not 'the law', they are advisory (but are seen as the recognised benchmark)
Under the existing/outgoing edition (16th) RCD's were required on socket circuits that could reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors or on all sockets on certain installations where the consumer provides their own earth via an earth rod etc.
It sounds like your friend could be 'angling' for some work using scaremongory as there is some changeover time allowed between editions and even then an existing install non-compliance would only be picked up on an inspection.

Sarah

I did. He tells me the regulations apply to domestic property where external sockets were used, or all sockets in a rented property, and that a rented property would fail an electrical safety check should it not have any form of RCD present?

Sponsored Links
He wouldn't get the work anyway, the standard contractor would. I realise IEE isn't law, although I was told Part P is, and the requirement for RCD use in rented property is now under Part P?

EDIT: While I'm here, is a 12 monthly electrical inspection law? Or does this just apply to gas?

If it was a ground floor flat with a garden, or a an area close by where you would park your car, then you could reasonably expect sockets to be used to supply kit outdoors (hoover, lawn mower), and an RCD would then be required (30mA). However, if it is a first floor flat, consideration is given to weather an extension lead would be likely to be used to supply kit outdoors. Usually, atleast in my area, there is a communal socket in the hallway which is always RCD Protected.

There is NO difference between a rented flat and a flat.

IMO, lack of RCD protection is a code 4 on a PIR.

Not to current standards, but this does not mea it is dangerous.

It makes absoloutly no difference that the house is a rented property.

It seems odd that your electrician is already quoting the 17th edition regulations, as they are so new I haven't even received my copy yet.

The electrical setup is weird, as there is a main cable coming in, (I'm assuming from the external supply), which is split into 3 black fuse boxes, 2 of which don't connect to anything, and one of which connects to the meter, which in turn connects to the consumer board. From this, I'm assuming that my house was once either a shop, or flats, but regardless, my main supply is split 3 ways, one of which supplies the whole house.

... I was told Part P is, and the requirement for RCD use in rented property is now under Part P?

Part P is a Part of the building regulations and applies when you are Building (or sometimes altering) a home.

There is no requirement for existing homes to be knocked down every year and rebuilt to latest standards. It doesn't matter if it's rented or not.

I understand that. Mainly I want to know if having no RCD is a cause for concern or not, as my old place had one and I've only just moved here, and what with all the fuss of moving in it's only just been bought to my attention.

What floor is your flat on?

Have you got a garden?

I still have not changed my fuseboard in my own home to incorporate an RCD.

I have some building work coming up, and will do then.

I am happy without currently. I have a single RCD protected socket in the garage which I use for mowing the lawn, and if I didn't have that, I would be happy with a plug in power breaker.

I still have not changed my fuseboard in my own home to incorporate an RCD.

I have some building work coming up, and will do then.

I am happy without currently. I have a single RCD protected socket in the garage which I use for mowing the lawn, and if I didn't have that, I would be happy with a plug in power breaker.

As long as all is fine :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back