RCD with double insulated spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to fit some new Spotlights in my bathroom

I have got some Zone 2 double insulated spotlights 240 volts and a 30ma RCD with a fuse but i am not sure what i should do with the Earth wire when connecting.
The supply to my bathroom has earth but the spotlights don't need an earth connection so i am not sure if i should take the earth in the RCD from the main supply but not out to the lights or should i not put the earth in to the RCD unit

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you told the local authority that you are about to carry out electrical works in a bathroom?

In answer to your question.
The luminaires themselves may be double insulated, but the fixed wiring that will be installed will need for the cpc to be connected to earth.
Otherwise, how would you test the EFLI figure that will be going onto the schedule of test results?

If the above words do not mean much, then you need to get a registered electrician to carry out this NOTIFIABLE work for you.

Hi

Thanks for your reply

The house is not currently lived in and the power is off I am doing most of the work myself to save money but I am going to get a registered electrician to come and inspect my work before anything goes live.

I was just not sure what to do with the earth I don’t want to wire them up to be told its wrong when they do an inspection. I have never wired a RCD to lights that don’t need earth before I am still unsure whats best to do

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
I was just not sure what to do with the earth I don’t want to wire them up to be told its wrong when they do an inspection. I have never wired a RCD to lights that don’t need earth before I am still unsure whats best to do
Run the cable with the earth to the light fittings, the earth/CPC (circuit protective conductor) needs to be connected and continuous right up to the last fitting.
Depending on the enclosures supplied with the fitting some do allow for the earth to be connected if not terminate to connection strip and enclose in choc box, remember to sleeve green and yellow.
The CPC maybe required on other fittings if the these are ever replaced, also test such as continuity and Zs require the CPC.

I am doing most of the work myself to save money but I am going to get a registered electrician to come and inspect my work before anything goes live.

That is not how it is done, legally.

Much of the work you are doing is notifiable to the local authority.

There are two ways to do this and they are described HERE

There are two options

1. You can do the notifiable works (the DIY option) but you must register the work with the local authority before work starts. They will want to ensure that everything that you do complies with Building Regulations Part P (Electrical Safety) and the relavent standards.
They will want to inspect the cable selection, cable runs, and other things as work progresses and will want to see that you are competent to undertake the work.
They will expect you to test the circuits to BS7671 and will probably want to see a completed installation certificate. Or they may appoint their own electrician to carry out the tests.
This all costs £££££, or course.

OR

2. Engage a registered electrician to carry out the works. He will test and certify the installation and also he can notify that the works comply with Part P. This keeps your installation legal and will avoid any problems from the buyer if/when you come to sell in the future.
It may be that the electrician will agree for you to carry out some of the grunt work, but he is only permitted to cert & notify work that he has done himself.
You cannot get an electrician to come along after the works have been done and "sign it off".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back