Re-tiling bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking at re-tiling my bathroom. Would it be better to tile on top of the existing tiles, which are very sound, or remove the old? Also where do I start? There is a row, near the ceiling, that goes around all four walls. Do I start there to ensure that everything is straight and square?

Thanks, RGee

Sponsored Links
Rgee, I would'nt start up the top. Make sure all tiles are well stuck, any loose tiles pull off and render that area with sand/cement.

Most tiling starts with making a line horizontal and vertical halfway on each wall , you then have cross on the wall. The horizontal line can be taken around the room with a level. Check that the tile from the side of the centre line ends with a good cut tile at the end of the wall, do this vertical also. Thats your starting point.

Now, as you have tiles up already, you have to get the wood battens your going to use to place your tiles on to stick on the wall. Use masonary nails to fix the battens along your horizontal line, but try to get the nails to hit between the grout lins as you can't go through the tiles.

Start where you found the best end cuts and go to the top of the last tile, even if it goes 4 inches past its end you can later silicone in the gap so no water can enter and pull the top layer off.

Try to get howtex fermagrip, you can get it from a tile shop not local diy stores. Its no slip, so when you take off the battens and finish off the lower area of tiling the tiles will stay put.

I hope that gives you some sort of an idea.

i agree with reply above,will only add that if any tiles come off,turn them round and fix into hole.will give a good fix for new tile.used it many times

its better to burn out than fade away

yeah, good point bobski, I've done that before many times. Recently done a kitchen , tile over tile, lots of tiles missing, just put tiles in place of missing tiles and tiled over, good point.............simon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back