Re-using some fused faceplates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I've got an integrated fridge and a separate integrated freezer, each are wired into a fused faceplace. I'm having to replace both with a freestanding fridge freezer, will I be able to take the plug off of this and wire it into one of the empty sockets?

And secondly would I be able to take the plug off of a 4 way gang and wire it into the other socket that will be left empty? with the intention of having it mounted and hidden behind the carcass of a cabinet with some plinth/under cabinet LED lighting plugged into it?

Hopefully not too stupid a question. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

When the previous owners of the house have wired the appliances into the back of these sockets have they done a bodge job then? Or is it different when it comes to integrated appliances?

what do you mean by "socket?"

Photos would help.

Sponsored Links
You can take off the plug and wire them to a fused faceplate, as your post started, but not a socket.

Fused connection Unit - with or without switch and neon light
images

Socket
upload_2016-6-22_21-4-14.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-22_21-5-26.jpeg
    upload_2016-6-22_21-5-26.jpeg
    3.2 KB · Views: 85
Much better to replace your fused connection units with sockets and plug in you new fridge/freezer and multiway splitter. Easy then next time you want to replace or make changes.

The usual reason for the fcu is lack of space to accommodate a plug and socket.

DS

Yep seems like a definite problem with my terminology, fused connection units are what I actually mean.

Attachments

• 20160623_052249.jpg
    20160623_052249.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 95
As an update I've removed the Freezer and where I assumed it was wired directly into the back of the FCU it actually when into another faceplate (see pic) which in turn turn is channelled into the wall and into the back
of the FCU (hope that makes sense?) So going back to the second part of my original question, could I take the plug off a 4 socket extension lead and wire it into the attached faceplate to install the some under-cabinet lighting? I assume I'd have to take the fuse from the original pug on the extension lead and put it into the FCU?

Attachments

• 20160628_114911.jpg
    20160628_114911.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 93
Yes, you could do that. You can then use the FCU to turn your lights in and off.
Wouldn't it be better to do it all properly?

By doing it properly do you mean replacing the FCU with a single socket? If so my issue with that is there is no obvious way of hiding the extension lead. I certainly would rather have it done properly, but the way I describe leaves no cables on view?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back