Recognised plumbing certificates

Good point about lead work. A complete waste of time or almost all plumbers, and that's been the case for a few decades now. So why do they insist on it? A bit like learning Latin at school 1600 years after the Romans left.

Sponsored Links
It'll be amusing if anyone doing plumbing will have to get a plumbing qualification. Agile will be there waving his bossing mallets at the NVQ lecturers telling them they're wrong!

I could not agree more that lead work is totally inappropriate for current plumbing.

A friend of mine came from Yorkshire and the plumbing firm he worked for also replaced glass in windows "because that was a job for plumbers".

I dont have any lead bossing mallets, whatever they are Chris.

Tony

Dont forget Plumber means lead worker in latin, a dying trade with all these prefabricated (but handy)sheets.
Pete

Sponsored Links
I dont have any lead bossing mallets, whatever they are Chris.
Don't worry Tony you'll be issued some with your exercise book and inkwell.:cool:

Currently selling ones Gaff & the buyer`s surveyor picked up on the fact that the flashing around chimney on one side was missing.(already knew but too lazy to get on roof, had visions of Rod Hull type scenario, bad enough with vertical flue)..anyways got up & sorted it meself, have also done some leadwork on an extension for a builder mate, he does lots of extension type work & has offered me all the work, so the lead part of my NVQ 2 wasn`t a complete waste of time.

'm not disputing that lead work done well is highly skilled work for those that want to do it and yes I have lead flashing on my chimney too..I've just finished building an extension and as I had to get a plasterer in...From my own personal point of view it would have been great to have spent a few weeks learning to plaster on my plumbing course ..but for people who are going to become plumbers it would have been a waste of time...I agree with a previous poster lead work should be an option in the training and leave the rest of us to learn all there is to plumbing in washing machines/dish washers etc...something that has not been even touched on in our course and would be of immediate use..

To reitterate as someone who is mature and has worked in previous occupations for over 20 years I think the course content of the City and Guilds plumbing qualifications is a disgrace and so totalluy out of touch with the plumbing requirements of what is needed

NVQ 3 is what any plumber should aspire to colege wise then always pay respect to your elders on jobs , they tell you the of the trade , sadly dying now , How to find leaks in a property fast , without major damage ,THAT IS NEVER TAUGHT IN TECH..
Pipe finding an sizing , again T I N T I T
Temp repairs on out of of hours , T I N T I T
Isolating supplies on old properties ,T I N T I T
dirty cold water from a terrace house supply after water supplier says no main works , T I N T I T
drains/wastes
waste traps stink an fitted right why, T I N T I T
waste pipes will block in certain places ,T I N T I T
waste pipes seal but always leak , T I N T I T

I could go on with them , but ...

the best education is NVQ3 an 4 year with a old plumber you will repay .....

I just sold half of my firm, the the second biggiest in Manc ,

I started in Nothing ... NO exams ,my headmaster said I would be dead by 25 an you boy are SCUM ,

I had good start on at the water board an aquired my plumbers ticket , I then went gas B/G got service engine , at hollinwood ,

at the time I should be the king of the world , but

I got off the estate an took the beauty with me ... My wife ,

after dark times sorting her family out

I lost the B/G ..job , lol
I was never in work
,sorting family lunatics out .....

SORRY Fallen into My life again

Jogger said:
I think the course content of the City and Guilds plumbing qualifications is a disgrace and so totally out of touch with the plumbing requirements of what is needed
Spot on.

So how do City & Guilds get away with such incompetence? Quite simply it amounts to a major waste of resources. Is this something we should all be taking up with our MPs?

I was told that the City & Guilds was geared entirely towards big multiskill companies that do plumbing alongside everything else and that was why the syllabus is lost in the dark ages. I don't know how true it is, but I suspect there is a backward looking vested interest at play somewhere along the line.

That doesn't sound too convincing now i read it back, but its obvious the smaller plumbing outfit has no influence whatsoever on what is taught.

Alfredo

In my experience fossilised institutions like City & Guilds just carry on doing the same thing as they've always done.....until they are forced to change. It's shear inertia. But a few letters landing on the appropriate Minister's desk (via local MPs) might be surprisingly effective.

chrishutt said:
Good point about lead work. A complete waste of time or almost all plumbers, and that's been the case for a few decades now. So why do they insist on it? A bit like learning Latin at school 1600 years after the Romans left.
QED!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back