Recommend me a good tool to clean and deburr copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need to adjust the piping slightly for a new bathroom radiator, and I want to prep the pipes properly what do you guys/girls recommend for deburring the interior and exterior of the pipe and making sure it's nice and clean so I get good joints

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
As long as you use a proper pipe cutter rather than a hacksaw a pipe cutter will chamfer the edge inwards so no burr. I don't see why you would worry about an internal burr but a small half round file will get rid of that. Then to clean use wire wool. I don't know whether you are going to solder or use compression joints, I would solder but I would use pre-soldered fittings but that is only because I'm not very good with solder on a roll and tend to make a mess. Use plenty of flux inside the fitting and and on the cleaned joint. Get yourself a solder blanket to protect the surrounding stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible...hash=item568825bca1:m:m72EPwPfeuSYkyyK_sMIx2g

I have seen them a bit bigger than this and a little bit cheaper.

Someone no doubt will come along and say what a load of rubbish. That is the nature of this forum. But it is the way I have done it for years and it works for me. I am not a plumber but I was an electronics engineer and I do understand soldering techniques

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As long as you use a proper pipe cutter rather than a hacksaw a pipe cutter will chamfer the edge inwards so no burr. I don't see why you would worry about an internal burr but a small half round file will get rid of that. Then to clean use wire wool. I don't know whether you are going to solder or use compression joints, I would solder but I would use pre-soldered fittings but that is only because I'm not very good with solder on a roll and tend to make a mess. Use plenty of flux inside the fitting and and on the cleaned joint. Get yourself a solder blanket to protect the surrounding stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible...hash=item568825bca1:m:m72EPwPfeuSYkyyK_sMIx2g

Someone no doubt will come along and say what a load of rubbish. That is the nature of this forum. But it is the way I have done it for years and it works for me. I am not a plumber but I was an electronics engineer and I do understand soldering techniques

Thanks for your response

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

[LINKHL]4812[/LINKHL]

Not too much wrong with that advice..... Other than the paranoia :p :D

Oh and the flux thing.....

I'm not very good with solder on a roll and tend to make a mess.

Use plenty of flux inside the fitting and and on the cleaned joint

There's ya problem....

Most DIY'ers use too much heat for too long with too much flux slathered everywhere. You just need a small amount wiped on the pipe. NEVER in the fitting.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
20171103_165926.jpg

But hey - what do I know about soldering?

Use plenty of flux inside the fitting
Absolutely wrong advice. Never put flux on the inside of a fitting. Flux only the pipe, but you can clean the inside of the fitting if you like. Fluxing the fitting only pushes excessive flux inside the pipe. Sorry about the repeat advice, but it needs saying.
Oh yes I'm another one of those so called experts.

Last edited:

[LINKHL]4812[/LINKHL]

There's ya problem....

Most DIY'ers use too much heat for too long with too much flux slathered everywhere. You just need a small amount wiped on the pipe. NEVER in the fitting.

Thanks Dan, sorry for slow reply never got a notification either from the app or E-mail, that's impressive pipe work I will not flux in the fitting

[LINKHL]4812[/LINKHL]

There's ya problem....

Use plenty of flux inside the fitting
Absolutely wrong advice. Never put flux on the inside of a fitting. Flux only the pipe, but you can clean the inside of the fitting if you like. Fluxing the fitting only pushes excessive flux inside the pipe. Sorry about the repeat advice, but it needs saying.
Oh yes I'm another one of those so called experts.

Thanks for your response sorry for slow reply I didn't get a notification of your reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back