Recommendations for hard wired alarm system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I will be getting my house rewired in the coming weeks as part of a larger extension/refurbishment project. I would like to install an alarm system but am confused with all the choice out there. I have had various electricians come and have a look and they have all said something different. I think a hard wired system would be best as with all the work being done The cables can be easily laid/buried.

It's a standard 3 bedroom semi detached house at the moment. But will be having a L-shaped extension on the side and back.

What system would you guys recommend? Please let me know if you require any further information.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I myself would go with a Scantronic 9448 for a house like that. If you want bigger, having a look at a Scantronic 9651 or a Castle Euro mini may be a good start.

Keep Hardwired, Only go for a system with an LCD keypad (displays full text on screen) and go with a reputable brand such as Pyronix (Euro Mini/ Euro 46), Texecom (Veritas Excel/Premier Elite 24) Honeywell (Galaxy flex) or Scantronic (9448) Some of these have an app too, giving you full control & alerts via your phone and also allow for wireless expansion in the future if needed.

Basic ... euromini ( 10 ) zones
More flexible panel ....premier 24/48 or castle 46
Both have wireless add ons and apps

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. At work ATM but will have a look at the options suggested this evening.

The Honeywell Galaxy G2-12 is a bargain for the capability. Again, a flexible hybrid panel. New on Ebay prices:

£30 for the panel
~£35 for a keyprox
PIR's ~£7 each and a single door contact for £2.
12V 7aH battery £15
100m of 6 core alarm cable £12
Internal speaker or sounder £8
Decent Texecom sounder £35

So, for about £160 and a bit of your own time installing, you can have a pretty decent system. You can add Ethernet for monitoring/remote control, wireless portal for wireless devices Etc.

The Honeywell Galaxy G2-12 is a bargain for the capability. Again, a flexible hybrid panel. New on Ebay prices:

£30 for the panel
~£35 for a keyprox
PIR's ~£7 each and a single door contact for £2.
12V 7aH battery £15
100m of 6 core alarm cable £12
Internal speaker or sounder £8
Decent Texecom sounder £35

So, for about £160 and a bit of your own time installing, you can have a pretty decent system. You can add Ethernet for monitoring/remote control, wireless portal for wireless devices Etc.

There is a reason it is a bargain, it belongs in a museum!

There is a reason it is a bargain, it belongs in a museum!

It's grade 2, so probably not suitable for a museum.

Seriously though, the system supports Ethernet remote control/SIA reporting, hybrid wireless, FSL. The list is pretty comprehensive and for the money it's still very good value! I don't really see much improvement in the internal architecture in other panels - the CPU's in newer panels are hardly being pushed to their capabilities and RTOS's running on flash based filesystems only increase reliability issues in the long term.

Honeywell can't kill the G2, as they still sell in their thousands every month. They'd love to replace it with the Flex, but the domestic market doesn't want to pay for features they will never use.

Thanks again guys. Not got round to sitting down and looking at the different options. Hopefully tomorrow! Will let you know what I go for. Cheers

definitely go hardwired if you can.

As for doing jobs properly, there's lots of people installing alarms and not all of them properly.

Hello again guys. So after some research and talking to an alarm installer I have decided to go with the Honeywell galaxy system. It's got everything I need. Thank you all once again for pointing me in the right direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back