Recommendations for wood and skirting (white paint)

As any English native will know, we always paint our skirting boards and doors with white paint.
In the past we used Brilliant White Gloss. but some ****heads in Brussels have taken that away from us.
OP, please be clear about something before you start mouthing off.

In 2010 EU regulations forced paint manufacturers to reduce VOCs in products (volatile organic compounds) because those compounds are environmentally damaging and they caused high rates of throat cancer in decorators. I for one am glad about it.

They were, however, the additives which kept oil based white paint white, and helped it dry.

I have not come across an oilbased brilliant white paint which does not yellow . So if you want permanently white, you need to get used to the Johnstone's, which most decorators will tell you is the best water based system.

W/b also has the advantage that it doesn't smell and it dries quickly, allowing several coats to be applied in the same day.

To be fair, can't disagree with that... still don't like water based paints, but as very rightly pointed out high VOC's = injurious to health. Oil based paints WILL yellow. Pays yer money, takes your choice. Still recommend Johnstones range though.

Sponsored Links
Thing is the oil based still stinks, needs ventilation and long working periods cause headaches. It really doesn't seem any different to work with than the old stuff.
However, Johnstones aqua is the best gloss. Sikkens BL primer/undercoat and BL satura are superb. I've heard (but not used it) that the new Dulux quick drying satin is very good.
Used some screwfix no nonsense WB primer undercoat a couple of weeks ago, was surprisingly very good.
OB gloss will yellow as will satin and eggshell.

I dare say that LG intellimatt could be used in place of eggshell with very good prep.

Been using Leyland trade quick drying satinwood (water based) this week and I'm impressed. On new six panel colonial doors, prime edges and undercoat with Leyland acrylic primer/undercoat and two coats of the quick drying satin and the doors look great, dries very quick, got a second coat of the satin on after one hour, no problems.

Sponsored Links
I wonder what happened to all the unsold pre-2010 high-VOC gloss paint when the regulations changed.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back