Recommended scarifiers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Have got a garden that suffers quite badly with moss.
Applied feed & weed 2 weeks ago and would like to scarify to try to thin out the dead moss.

Can anyone recommend a good scarifier at a reasonable cost?
There seem a lot out there and the prices vary a lot.

TIA

Sponsored Links
How bad is it and how big an area is it? If its very heavy you could hire one but often they are more like a small flail than spring tines and can cut it up pretty well but will certainly thin it out.

How bad is it and how big an area is it? If its very heavy you could hire one but often they are more like a small flail than spring tines and can cut it up pretty well but will certainly thin it out.

It's pretty bad.
Moved in about 12 months ago and borrowed the neighbour's scarifier last year. Was more of the spring tines variety - did the job but slow. In the end left off the hopper as it filled after a few seconds!
But feel cheeky borrowing it again this year!

Last year some places were left 95+% bare. Re-seeded these bits and grew back eventually, but moss generally recovered! :evil:

This year moss still there - not as bad as last year, but still significant.
Prob 50% in places.
Lawn areas prob 70m2 for each front & back.

If you did it that thourougly last year and it back very badly you may want to think about the causes.

Is it particularly shady you may want to try a shade tolerant seed and anything you can do to help drainage will also improve it. You should consider aerating it as well and then mixing your seed with a load of sand. It should help but some areas just have really bad drainage and without serious work you may have to just lump it.

Sponsored Links
If you did it that thourougly last year and it back very badly you may want to think about the causes.

Is it particularly shady you may want to try a shade tolerant seed and anything you can do to help drainage will also improve it. You should consider aerating it as well and then mixing your seed with a load of sand. It should help but some areas just have really bad drainage and without serious work you may have to just lump it.

Hmm probably me not doing it thoroughly enough and it is shady without great drainage.
One of the trees covered most of the garden which has been reduced this year, so should help.
I will go for the aerating and sand/seed etc as suggested after shredding the lawn once again ;)
Think there are still options to try before giving up.

On the scarifier subject - any tips on selecting one?
Are the £50ish electric ones ok or do you really need to lay out more cash to get an acceptable one?

I can't honestly tell you, I have only ever used petrol driven hire machines or done it by hand. Any lawn that needs more than an annual stiff raking to remove thatch etc needs a more sturdy approach than one of those electric things in my opinion.

90% of people apply feed/weed/moss killer all in one and then give it a bit of a rake over for good measure but in reality to truly get rid of moss you need to use dedicated soluble moss killer and then really tear it up and reseed with a load of sand and seed.

Even doing that sometimes doesn't finish it off, in which case its usually quicker to kill it all and start again.

I can't honestly tell you, I have only ever used petrol driven hire machines or done it by hand. Any lawn that needs more than an annual stiff raking to remove thatch etc needs a more sturdy approach than one of those electric things in my opinion.

Will prob go for the elecy one and see how I go with the other measures you suggested.
Definitely better this year and with the tree gone, expecting more help from the sun to keep it dryer :D

The neighbours all say the same. Think we have clay under the area thinking
back to the survey, so can imagine this doesn't help drainage!

Thanks for the help r896neo - appreciated.

I'd really question if it's worth buying a electrical device that you're only going to use once a year.
Why not lend your neighbour something else in return?

Anyone tried those spiked aerator shoes you strap onto your normal shoes and walk around?

I find a rake good enough and don't think you actually need to kill the moss first.
Plus you can just put the moss in your compost bin without any worry if it's not been chemically treated.

Those weed and feed things are OK, but again what's wrong with a few flowers in your lawn?
I can understand not allowing the dandelions to seed, but that can be done by mowing or deadheading.

If you're old or not physically able to rake that's fair enough but in my opinion our need for gadgets and chemicals in the garden is totally out of hand.

Leaf blowers, leaf vacs, scarifiers, strimmers, shredders etc etc are for professional garden maintenance companies.

(This reply is really for people searching)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back