Red Twin & Earth

Sponsored Links
So what's the point of wiring a panel in fire resistant cable?

That's the point I'm trying to make as the distribution board won't be fire resistant.

Sponsored Links
I am sure the supply is meant to be in FP or similar, not so sure on the colouring, but have often seen it done in red by firms. The supply to the firealarm should be taken from the main intake where practicable, and not a submain.

I don't have my BS here, but am really sure it has to firetuff, although perhaps there are get outs like "run in away as to minimise risk" etc.

I sort of recall there is no reg that states the cable must be firetuff, but the there is a reg that states the mains supply should be prolonged as long as possible, or words to this effect. All new installs use firetuff for detection, sounders and the supply.

The integrity of the mains supply to the system is also regarded as essential, even though the system has a standby supply. Accordingly, mains supply circuits need to be adequately protected against the effects of fire.

As stated in 25.2h) wherever possible the circuit supplying a fire alarm system need not be protected by an RCD. The 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations (BS 7671:2008) introduces a number of new
requirements for the installation of RCDs. Regulations 522.6.6; 522.6.7; and 522.6.8 concern cables concealed in walls or partitions.
Reference should be made to these regulations when considering which cable type will be used for the mains supply for the fire alarm system, as not all cable types that meet the requirements to be classified as “standard fire resisting cables” or “enhanced fire resisting cables” in BS 5839-1 will provide an adequate level of mechanical protection to satisfy the requirements of 522.6 in BS 7671. It should be noted that the requirements for mechanical protection in 522.6 are specifically aimed at the issue of penetration of concealed cables by nails, screws and the like.
Consideration could also be given to running cables supplying fire alarm systems on the surface in some cases.

This supply should be regarded as an integral part of the fire alarm system, particularly for the purpose of certification of the system (see Clause 41), regardless of whether the electrical installation within the building is provided by the organization responsible for installation of the fire alarm system.

someone earlier said only the sounders need to be in fire cable, not so, used to be detectors could be in tw/e but not for many years.
Also supply cables,26.1: "the integrity of the mains supply to the system is also regarded as essential, even though the system has a standby supply. Accordingly, mains supplycircuits need to be adequately protected against the effects of fire"
"all fire alarm cables should be of a common colour that is not used for cables of general electrical services in the building, to enable these cables to be distinguished from those of other circuits."
Note 10, the colour red is prefered.

Could it be used for maintained circuits? That is some places (my experience is in lifesciences departments in Universities) have a range of circuits that are maintained. That is should the mains power fail then a generator will kick in and start supplying power to the maintained circuits. Not funny if the power goes out to the -80 degree fridge that has your life's work in.

These all had red face plates at the last university I worked at to distinguish them from other sockets. It is not hard to imagine that you might use red T+E to supply them as well.

Wouldn't it be important for the 240 v supply to be in fp or pyro etc in case of battery failure?

Regular maintenance and testing should avoid a complete battery failure.

As for red T&E, you could use it for the link between the consumer unit and the first of the interlinked smoke/heat detectors in domestic premesis. The interlinks normally need to be done in 3C&E

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back