Reinstalling Win 10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have copy of Win 10 upgraded free from Win 7.

The HD is dying and before it does (in case I need it) I would like to reinstall the OS on a fresh HD.

The website says:

Suppose I need to reinstall Windows 10 after one or two years from now or I install a new hard disk?

Windows 10 is registered to the device, not your hard disk. Just install a new hard disk and reinstall Windows 10 and it will reactivate automatically.

So, if I put a new HD in the PC, how do I reinstall Win 10?

Thanks, guys.

Sponsored Links
That would be easy if the Windows OS was provided on a DVD, as it was in the good old days. Unfortunately, the software for re-installation is now on a hidden partition on the hard drive. If the hard drive goes tits up, it's a fair bet that the re-installation partition will also have gone tits up.

I believe that there is the option to create a Windows Image Backup on an external hard disc, and that this would include not only the Windows software, but also everything else on your hard disc. Unfortunately, I'm no expert and certainly haven't ever had the need to use an Image Backup (the day will inevitably dawn), but perhaps someone who knows can confirm that this is a good way of re-installing it.

Personally, I'd be more happy if it were possible to copy the Windows OS on to a DVD for safe keeping, but I have a feeling that Microsoft wouldn't permit it due to their worry of copying the OS for pirate re-selling.

Your system (or any) drive can be cloned to a new drive (generally same capacity or larger) - You need the means of connecting the new drive - power and data.
Both drives will need to be accessed by the computer at the same time.

Be wary. A clone replicates what you have at the time of cloning on for example your C drive. All of it.

A clean reinstall may well require a reinstall of your software.
Get an ISO file from MS, using the Media Creation Tool.
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...ownload.html?filter[2]=Installation and Setup

Good image / cloning software :-
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
How to clone :-
http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
Pay particular attention to Paras. 5 & 7.

-0-

Last edited:
As above you would need to clone the drive to ensure you have an activated Windows 10. The alternative is to reinstall the OS you upgraded from and then do the Windows 10 upgrade again and it should auto activate.

As for the question about going back to a "fresh" Windows 10 you can do this at any time by going to Settings and choosing Recovery. You can then select Reset This PC - this removes everything as if you'd just installed Windows 10 from scratch.

Sponsored Links
Those answer Securespark's original question, and I'm sure he's grateful for that.

However, if I may, I have created a Windows Image Backup on an external hard disc. If the installed hard drive in my laptop should fail and require a replacement, would it be possible to re-install everything - Windows and all the other software and files on the Image Backup - on to the new (internal) hard drive?

If this is not suitable, is it possible to create a 'Clone' of the existing hard drive on to an external hard disc in the same way, and then re-install everything to a replacement hard drive?

Actually, the programmes and files are not essentially part of the Image Backup or Clone. I have DVDs for the programmes which are not available on the internet and also, of course, separate backups of all of my files - twice (belt and braces!).

You merely restore a valid image to the new / fresh drive.

Some thought required on how to run the imaging program on a drive failed system ?

Using Macrium, before problems exist, it is just about foolproof to create 'Rescue Media' upon perhaps a flash or pen drive.
In the event of disk disaster, connect an external drive, (if not using an internal drive) containing image - boot from the flash drive, macrium runs from the flash drive, restore the image from external drive to a new / fresh replacement system drive.

A good strategy would be to back up all data, regularly.
Re-install clean Win10, then when all updates have been applied and software installed - create an image.
Restore data. Job done.
At any time that image could be restored - being a clean up to date (at the time of creation) image, all settings intact. Just requiring MS updating and a restoration of data backup.

There is obviously more to this if mission critical - but the above would generally get one through.

Laptop and cloning. obtain an external USB 3 enclosure, purchase replacement laptop drive, clone current laptop disk to new (external) disk.
In the event of problems replace the laptop drive with the cloned drive, reboot, restore data created after making image, from cloud or other device... Job done.

-0-

Last edited:
Thank you.

I have created a rescue disc (as was suggested by Windows Backup) and have a system image on an external USB hard disc, so I assume that is all I need.

To start arse about face, if you're got a DVD writer, then you can do a backup and restore to it, and that's something you should do every 3 months, but on a weekly basis, you should also copy documents and email files etc to a usb stick, and these can be added back after the last backup has been restored.

In your case, if you're hard drives about to give out, then you need to create a system disk that you can reboot from when you need to do a reinstall, otherwise you can't get the new system up and running. As others have said, if you connect the new hard drive to the PC, then you can use Clone or Ghost software to copy from one disc to another, and it's not until you change 2 items in the PC, that Microsoft will query if you've used the same licence on another PC.

Those answer Securespark's original question, and I'm sure he's grateful for that.

Indeed. Thanks guys!

To make matters more complicated, would be possible to put the copy of Win 10 on an SSD and all the other files on a separate HDD?

In principle, yes. The swap file and a few others have to go on the other hard drive, as SSDs wear out quickly if overused, but it will considerably speed up windows for you.

The best plan is to download the Windows 10 installation from Micro$oft's website. This can then be used to install to the new hard drive. When prompted to input the licence key, click "I do not have a Product Key". Installation will continue. Make sure you are NOT connected to the internet otherwise Windows will use all its default settings, which include sending usage data to Microsoft! Once you have a decent antivirus installed, make your internet connection, update your AV, and Windows should activate itself. If activation fails for any reason, you will need your original WIN7, 8 or 8.1 Licence Key to input. WIN10 should then activate. HTH.

Also, going on from the comments about SSD drives, all my laptops and netbooks have SSD drives, as does my desktop machine. Even my NAS drive contains two mirrored 120GB Kingston SSD drives! I agree that early SSD drives could "wear out" if continually accessed, but, as technology has improved, this is less and less of a problem.

Also, going on from the comments about SSD drives, all my laptops and netbooks have SSD drives, as does my desktop machine. Even my NAS drive contains two mirrored 120GB Kingston SSD drives! I agree that early SSD drives could "wear out" if continually accessed, but, as technology has improved, this is less and less of a problem.

Part of the problem originally is Windows never used to have proper SSD support. The modern drivers prevent "thrashing" and also wear levelling which helps prolong the life of the devices.

I think it's the drives algorithms that prevent thrashing; it keeps the files moving round so that the whole drive gets used evenly. The windows swap file is one of the most used files in the system (unless you've got masses of memory), so if you've got another drive, then that's the best place for it. As long as the SSD lasts a couple of years, most manufacturers aren't going to worry too much.

I use SSD as system drive - Win 10 - Western Digital Black 2TB as data drive, WD green 2TB as backup 1st line. all on same machine.
Data drive contains Docs,Pix,Vids, Music and Downloads Library folders.

Actually easy to do this :-
http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/59251-moving-windows-10-libraries-2nd-hd-w-win-7-a.html

A good benefit - system drive image is relatively small, quick to make, quick to verify and quick to restore !

A good idea to assign your disks meaningful names. Like my 3rd drive :- 'WD Green Data 2TB'

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back