Removal of Fire Back

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking at getting a gas fire. I've swept the chimney (class I) and checked its good with a smoke bomb. The fireplace is a small one, 14" x 24" (35 x 60cm). I called my gasman who said he didn't know of any fires that would fit, but if I found one he would fit it "as long as its not B&Q sh**te". So, two questions:

1. Does anyone know of a suitable inset fire, ideally under £200? I don't want a basket.

2. To get more room, could I could break out the fire back? I imagine this would increase the depth. Presumably there will be rubble and brickwork behind it?

3. The fire back has the throat built in, if I remove the fire back would I need to replace the throat or somehow restrict the size of the opening into the flue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes you can chop out all the chair brick to get a normal size inset fire in . yes there is loads of rubble and carp behind it.
most fires require a 16 inch opening.
200 quid will get you cheap and cheerful

First off - find another gasman, yours obviously has no clue.

Secondly, dont phone me. If you want a fire under £200, how much do you expect to pay for a proffesional install?

Sponsored Links
Gas112, thanks. I'm flexible on the £200, I thought that it would get me a basic but decent Valour or similar.

BSR, I would recommend that you don't do too much work until you've spoken to your installer. All too often, I go to jobs which heve been "prepared" by the client, but invariably, it has created problems. DIYing the prep is OK, but take instructions from the guy doing the gas work first. The gasman about which you previously wrote is clearly not experienced, so finfd someone who is.

Dont forget you need tio have a hearth, and the fireplace opening sizes are fairly specific and you MUST have a surface on which you get a good seal.

By the way, If you go for a Valor fire, find a local VALOR CENTRE showroom, as you receive a free of charge 3 year manufacturers waranty, which is not available through other routes. The good thing about the warranty is that you don't have tpo replace the ODS on an annual abasis to qualify

Expert you on about the BFM group kinder , flavel etc
Absolute joke that the warranty is invalid if the osd is not changed each year
absolute con

OP Have a look at valor dream fireslide cost about 330 but will last you years and its a full depth fire that will give a good heat output

Expert you on about the BFM group kinder , flavel etc
Absolute joke that the warranty is invalid if the osd is not changed each year absolute con

Agreed, they are generally also more expensive than most for the ODS, How many have you actually changed as a result of failure?

The FREE 7 / 5/ 3 year warranty starts to look a tad expensive!

So... does anyone know of an inset gas fire that will fit into a 14" fireback? It will save me breaking it out. As suggested I will confirm all this with the gasman before doing any major work, but I can't find a fire that would fit.

Thanks

bsr

There are loads! Most "multi flue" fires will fit, but not all have particularly good flame pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back