Remove old heater- decorate - install new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

In my bathroom I need to remove the old radiator, then decorate the wall, and then invite a plumber to move the pipework and install a new radiator.

Is it safe to just to remove the old radiator (I will be doing this when it is warm, so not heating involved)? Will it not affect the whole system, and will it be easy for the plumber to install the new radiator? I am worried about some pressure in the system, or some other stuff I do not know.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
In theory you should be able to turn off both valves then disconnect the radiator but unless there is a drain cock on one of the valves it means catching the radiator water in a container as you undo a connection

I say in theory as not all radiators valves may hold 100% so even turned off there could be a weep from them. Fitting caps onto the exposed open ends of the valve may be possible and I do it as insurance against leaks!

If one of the valves is thermostatic, you need to remove the thermostatic top and fit the "decorators" cap onto it to shut it off.

Altering the pipework will usually mean the rest of the system gets drained down for a short while so the changes can be made.

Watch out with the water in the radiator as towards the end of draining it out, it will be black and nasty staining water - you don't want to spill any!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back