Removing Dado rail - grab adhesived on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? I have a Dado rail - grab adhesived on all the way through my hall stairs & landing. Dumb idea, I know, but back in the early 90's when I had just discovered No-Nails I fixed this dust collector rail on with BOTH screws & No-Nails !!

It has to come off because it is a large ugly section and looks quite dated. So while preparing for decorating I wonder what is the best and least destructive way to remove it? The screws are easy. Then I would think a sharp tap on the top, downwards, might break the seal and bring paint with it where glued. However, if I decide to lever it off, I may well bring, in a 1930's house with crumbly plaster, a sizeable part of the wall away.

I have experimented with a tiny section where least visible, using a decorators scraper & hammer to gently prise it away, that brought all the layers of paint with it down to skim plaster coat. Would probably fill quite easily afterwards though.

I had considered using a sharp knife along the upper & lower edges of the rail to cut at least through the paint layers and hope that any damage might be confined within these two cut lines.

Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
you might be able to get an old saw between wall and dado,no doubt it will mark the wall,but should be easier to fill up marks left by the saw cuts then having to re plaster big chunks that you might have by pulling it off and hoping???

Score along the top and bottom of the rail with a stanley blade and try to lever it off with an old wood chisel. as you say its not if the plaster is going to come off its just how much.

Try cutting through the rail from the front to make the lengths more reasonable.

Once you have a start you can tackle it from the side rather than top or bottom, this may help reduce the damage, cut off any rail that gets in the way as you go.

If you keep the damage to a plasters trowel width it will be easy to repair.

If it turns out to be a right g*t to get off use an angle grinder with a suitable blade and cut in at 45 degrees from top and bottom this will leave an easy channel to fill. WARNING. lots of dust with this method so be prepared and use this as a last resort.

Good Luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back