Removing gas heaters, fireplaces etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got the keys to a new house which needs extensive renovation. The house currently has no central heating but a mixture of gas fireplaces, gas wall heaters, water heater and a gas cooker.

I intend to eventually have a modern combi boiler system installed. In the mean time there's lots of other work I need to do which the old appliances are in the way of.

As I intend to totally replace the existing equipment, if I was to have a GasSafe registered engineer cut and cap off the supply just after the meter could I (safely and legally) remove the remainder of the pipework and appliances myself? I suppose the system would have to be well vented before hand.

Thanks,
Alan

Sponsored Links
Yeh that would be your best bet as they would be able to cap it and test to make sure it is all safe correctly.

Where abouts are you from

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm in Cardiff.

I'm just after confirmation that, once the supply is capped at source, it would be safe and legal for me to remove everything.

Would the GasSafe engineer take care of venting the gas from the now disconnected pipework and appliances?

Thanks,
Alan

Sponsored Links
Ask the gas man when he come around to cap off, he might be able to vent it and disconnect all appliances and make safe for you to remove it.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back