Removing glass

mo2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

How can I remove a patio window out of a wooden frame using putty without breaking it. I have chipped the majority of the putty away, but the glass is still very firm and will not budge

Any Ideas or ways or is there a tool that can do this

thx v much mo

Sponsored Links
if the glass is gonna come free anywhere, its gonna do it at the top of the pane.

working from the inside of the rebate, you need to gently tap a broad paint scraper between the glass and the timber, keeping the scrapers leading edge, more towards the timber.

this may fracture the putty joint and help you to slowly work the glass free, from the top down.

it would be wise to erect some kind of restraint, to catch the glass, should it come free all of a sudden.

or break!!

I wouldnt use a hammer and scraper, you are asking to break it, If you are sure that all the outside putty is gone, then make sure that no sprigs have been left either as they will break its back as well. get a hammer and then sliding it across the face of the glass keep knocking the wooden frame, while you are doing this have someone inside gently tap the glass with their fist and i promise you it will come loose. also remember that it will come away easier at the bottom as that is where all the rain etc has gone down the years. depending how old the frame is it will always be easier to work on the bottom of it . trust me , I used to earn a living taking out perfectly good glass without it breaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back