Removing loft tanks possiblity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice/expertise on the possibilities of removing both the large cold water tank and smaller CH tank.

A couple of years ago the previous owners converted to an unvented cylinder with a expansion tank. I believe the cold water tank has been redundant and empty ever since but left in the loft. However, the CH smaller tank is still operating.

Is it possible to bypass the CH tank and have this piped into its own loop? Allowing us to remove both the tanks?

What are my possibilities and also potential issues by doing this?

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Yes ,it's possible to ammended your c/heating system to a sealed/ pressurised system.
The question arises as to whether or not the increased pressure can be handled by your pipework/ joints/ radiators etc.

Thanks for the replies. Could I just install a pressure regulating valve and set to around 1.5bar where I'll bypass the tank in the loft?

The model of the boiler is a Potterton suprima 40 boiler. Believe this was installed in 1993 but the invented cylinder was upgraded in 2018.

Sponsored Links
The suprima came with an optional sealed system kit, but there are independent kits available but not really DIY to be honest, you cant just do what you were proposing

Thanks again for the replies!

After checking the excat model of the boiler it's a Potterton profile 40e.

Do you have any suggestions how I can remove the CH small tank from my loft and reasons why the original suggestions wouldn't work and what negative effects this would of had?

Thanks again

Various things need doing to convert to a sealed system, requires an expansion vessel to be fitted ,a safety valve for pressure relief ,a filling loop between cold mains and sealed system ,a pressure gauge ,the removal of f&e tank and various ammendments to pipework, to name a few.
As Ian said ,not really DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back