Removing sockets from skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone has asked me to help them move their socket outlets out of the skirting boards as they've been told this needs to be done before they can address a damp issue they have, although as yet I'm not sure whether someone's just unaware that regulations aren't retrospective or they do in fact need moving to do the remedials.
Anyhoo, having not encountered s/o in skirtings before what am I likely to find and need to do apart from probably extending the cables and making good the skirting?

Sponsored Links
I guess the skirtings will be getting replaced as well.
You've answered your own question, you'll find the cables will either need to be extended or it could be worth considering replacing them.

It's a Victorian apartment and from memory the skirtings are at least 12" high, possibly more, so I'm not sure whether they're going to be replaced or not.
Is the cable likely to be routed behind the skirting or under the floorboards?

Sponsored Links
The cable is likely to be under the floorboards.

There may or may not be some slack cable.

About half way up this type of skirting board there is often a batten behind, fixed to the brickwork - so this will need to be drilled through to get the cable up the wall.

Adding extra sockets may help to solve the problem of extending cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back