Removing tiles from Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Has anyone got any tips of how to take lots of tiles off please.
Our bathroom is totally covered with them and I'm planning to take them off before getting a quote to get the bathroom up to date????

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Depends on the type/quality of tiles you’ve got, but having just completed a refurb of our bathroom, I used a combination of an old screwdriver and an old wallpaper scraper with a hammer. Once you’ve got the first tile off (sharp tap with a hammer should crack it enough to get a screwdriver into the crack) then it’s fairly straightforward. Keep the screwdriver or scraper at a shallow angle so it doesn’t gouge the wall – just tap with the hammer and loosen the tiles one by one. Make sure you’ve got plenty of rubble sacks to take the old stuff away!!

How successful you are depends what the wall is made of and what adhesive has been used. If it's a solid wall, then it's generally straight forward to do - use a hammer and sharp bolster chisel, or the claw part of a claw hammer, or a wide chisel bit in an SDS drill set on hammer only or I've even used an old 1" wood chisel before now for stubborn tiles! If it's a solid wall and a decent adhesive has been used then you'll be looking at some fairly major repair work to the wall to get it back smooth again because taking the adhesive off will take big lumps of your plaster with it.
If the wall is plasterboard, you should consider ripping the plasterboard off and re-boarding because you're gonna make a right mess of it trying to get the tiles off.
Don't forget the goggles! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back