Rendering over painted brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of having 3 walls rendered rather than repainting the whole lot in order to stop penetrating damp and maintenance of paint on the bricks which are soft rubbers i am told,Its only a bungalow covering a floor area of 52sq mtrs approx.To the rear i am hoping t have an extension built so i wouldn't need to worry about that wall ,just front and two sides.

The main worry is the south facing one because thats where the worst of the weather comes from .i have been busy scraping the loose paint off with a view to repainting it but find that a lot comes off quite easily, there are one or two holes in the brickwork and i also seem to have water coming into a bedroom through a tiny hole in the top frame of an aluminium window.

With all that in mind I thought maybe rendering might be the best suggestion.Can someone advise me and give some idea of what it would cost to do , thanks!

Sponsored Links
What you have to remember is that your render will only be fastened to the dodgy paint and bricks - that's all that will hold it up. You will have to do loads of prepping if you want it to last.

What you have to remember is that your render will only be fastened to the dodgy paint and bricks - that's all that will hold it up. You will have to do loads of prepping if you want it to last.

its knowing how far to go with it.The other two walls the paint looks fairly solid.Only other thing is to go for one of those external insulation/rendering systems marketted nby the likes of Sto and Webber
At the moment i have water leaking in above a window o the south facing wall.There is a tray above it presumably to deflect any water but its not doing its job

Sponsored Links
beg to differ joe but there are cheap mesh an fix solutions,means nothing if the scratch dont stick to the substrate,the mech fix will hold,to the op fix the water ingress first,then render!

beg to differ joe but there are cheap mesh an fix solutions,means nothing if the scratch dont stick to the substrate,the mech fix will hold,to the op fix the water ingress first,then render!

I've seen far too much mesh rusting and falling off. I'll stick to the tradition of bonding to the substrate thanks very much.

You can get that stuff from Wicke's these days. I'd still rather bond to the brick if it's all the same to with you.

I am just wondering if rendering is the best long term answer.I could just have the one wall done for now as its not in a part of the house which is highly visable-the front back and north faces are and they are not a problem.I could just repaint those.
I just cant figure out how or why the rain leaks in .A the moment it isnt but there is little wind so its not driving into the wall.The leak is just above three windows all of which have lead trays set in the wall above them they each have two weep holes which were partiallly blocked so i unblocked them but its not matters any better( at least not last night when the rain was driving into the wall).The weep holes were put in presumably for a reason when the walls were unpainted but now just seem to invite water in.
i am wondering if the lead trays are damaged .They sit above brick made lintels(headers), but how can one be sure????
I measured the wall to be about 35 sq mtrs and have removed quite a bit of the paint, maybe about 30-40%, although some very old paint is still evident in patches underneath where the existing one was.
Lastly i understand Weber produce a product that can be applied to previously painted surfaces.Would this be a good idea to use?

have you changed the gutter lately,donmaico?

the gutter is made of plastic and looks ok from where i am standing although it might need cleaning and the joints checked for leaks which `i will do when it next rains

Plasterer call round today and suggested the pointing had weathered so much by the rain that water was most probably seeping through.Its actually quite soft and is probably 1:1:6 lime/cement mortar.Suggested a complete repoint but i pointed out to him that some of the bricks were spalled to which he replied that those bricks would either ne d replacing ( as well as the repoint) or the whole wall rendered with 1:4 plus plasticiser and some other additive.The render would be applied to stainless steel mesh fixed to the wall,His rate is £25 per sq mtr plus mesh which sounds ok but would have to be done when the weather is warm and dry again ie next summer.
In the meantime i need to decide whether to repaint the surface to provide a temporary barrier to further water incursions or leave well alone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back