Renovation Project...Where To Start!!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy...

Netto has a Renovation...but where to start...!?

Ok, 1st floor is the bug bear, partitioned using standard plasterboard stud walls, ceiling a mix of plasterboard and wattle and daub (I think - although the daub looks like normal plaster!). I want to rearrange the layout upstairs so all partitions will be coming out (non bearing).

Things I know need doing:

Floors needs levelling up - think the beams have sagged.
Probably full rewire, certainly part.
New boiler + radiators + strip out hot water tank.
Remove old partitions, install new, skim, reboard ceilings, skim.

Now, I reckon the order would be:

1. Strip out.
2. Electrics.
3. Plumming.
4. Level Floors.
5. Re-install partitions.
6. Skim everything!

Sound ok?

Question, would it be best to get a builder in to do everyting? Or more advisable to contract out the work myself!? And are building regs necessary here?!

Cheers,

Netto...

:)

Sponsored Links
Floors sagging ?

Wattle and Daub?

Sounds like the property is very old. If it is you'll need
Listing Consent before you start anything.

Check it out first

How old and is it listed ?

Memor

Sponsored Links
be 100% certain that the upstairs walls are non load bearing.. just because it's timber studwork doesn't make it non load bearing.

I would do it in the following order..

1. strip out
2. level the floors ( it may involve changing some floor joists.. better to do this before electrisc of plumbing.. )
3. re-install studwork partitions... ( not plastered,. just the partitions so the plumbers and sparkies have somewhere to aim.. )
4. plumbing / electrics
5. re-plaster

on large jobs ( and this sounds big.. ) it pays to get a project manager on board.. or a builder who will organise the other trades.. ( get quotes.. )

Lath and Plaster!! Thats it, I really couldn't remember what the technique was called, just remembered it was old...Wattle and daub is the cow muck and lime/straw mix right!!?

:oops:

Thanks for the useful replies...the property is 300 yrs old but IS NOT listed - have just heard back from my local planning department...And as I'm working fulltime again, I'll have to hand it over to a mai contractor, sadly...

I've budgeted about 50k... :eek:

personally mate if the floors can be left iwould leave them as the cost and trouble would be excesive but this does depends on the age and designof your house i also seen on your list that you are putting in partision walls after electrics to say at least with electricsand plumbing i would advise to pay for a qualified trades man

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back