rent caps

E

EddieM

Housing crisis, rents should be capped to social housing levels. Discuss.

Sponsored Links
No people should study harder and earn more money. Discuss.

It didnt work in Stockholm.

Rent control can create long term complications.....I see it as a sticking plaster not the underlying solution.

The problem seems to lie with the way land and property market value is used as an investment vehicle.

Advocates of Land Value Tax probably see that as a way to change that......but it is contoversial and I cant see politicians seriously trying to promote it. The problem is this countries 'my home is my castle' culture.

Maybe if the housing issue becomes so extreme, the public would vote for a change in the way land value is taxed.

Sponsored Links
It didnt work in Stockholm.

Rent control can create long term complications.....I see it as a sticking plaster not the underlying solution.

The problem seems to lie with the way land and property market value is used as an investment vehicle.

Advocates of Land Value Tax probably see that as a way to change that......but it is contoversial and I cant see politicians seriously trying to promote it. The problem is this countries 'my home is my castle' culture.

Maybe if the housing issue becomes so extreme, the public would vote for a change in the way land value is taxed.

works In New York. I honestly believe being a private landlord should be an extreme PITA. Funding your pension through renting a place for someone to live is not acceptable.

works In New York. I honestly believe being a private landlord should be an extreme PITA. Funding your pension through renting a place for someone to live is not acceptable.

Does it work in New York?

But New York City’s rent controls, which were first introduced in 1943 and are the longest-running in the US, now only apply to about 38,000 apartments out of more than 2m residential units in the city

To qualify for rent control in New York, a tenant (or family member) must have been continuously living in an apartment since July 1971 (and it only applies to buildings with more than six apartment units). Under the controls, a landlord can increase rent by up to 7.5% every two years until a maximum base rent is reached
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/19/new-york-rent-controlled-homes
I realise above is 2015 so maybe rent cintrol has been changed for the better since

Moreover, it has finally dawned on many New Yorkers that rent controls, far from solving the city’s housing problem, are a prime cause of it. As New York’s Citizens Budget Commission has put it, “The most fundamental criticism of rent regulation is that it perpetuates the very problem it was designed to address: a housing shortage.” Indeed, with 1.1 million rent-regulated apartments, the city is a showcase for the distorting effects of controls: a minuscule vacancy rate, middle-class families trapped in apartments too small for their needs, wealthy retirees paying a pittance for three bedrooms, and virtually no new construction to relieve the strain and to upgrade the housing stock. Finding a decent apartment in New York City—and especially Manhattan—is a harrowing ordeal, and New Yorkers are fed up with it

https://www.city-journal.org/html/rent-control’s-last-gasp-11951.html

I honestly believe being a private landlord should be an extreme PITA.
It is.

Funding your pension through renting a place for someone to live is not acceptable.
Do you think firms/people should rent out cars, or tools, or anything else?

What about the rest of capitalism?
Hedge funds, for example, gambling on shares/companies/currencies going down.

Housing crisis, rents should be capped to social housing levels. Discuss.
What - Halve ? Private rental in my town = £800 Council = £ 400. Housing Association = somewhere in between. Facts from people I know. ( don't know anyone in H/A now)

Owners of rental homes should be forced to sell them, below market value, to their current tenants. Discuss.

It is.

Do you think firms/people should rent out cars, or tools, or anything else?

What about the rest of capitalism?
Hedge funds, for example, gambling on shares/companies/currencies going down.

Not comparable. A home is somewhere for someone to live. it should not be considered an investment.

Usually jealously that fuels this debate. If you was someone who could afford multiple properties and make a living out of them then you wouldn’t dream of rent caps or being forced to do anything. Usually the people who can’t get on any property ladder that start these debates :rolleyes:

Usually jealously that fuels this debate. If you was someone who could afford multiple properties and make a living out of them then you wouldn’t dream of rent caps or being forced to do anything. Usually the people who can’t get on any property ladder that start these debates :rolleyes:

Not at all. don't rent. don't have a mortgage. I could easily afford to buy to let, but wouldn't out of principle.

Yes I would.

Not at all. don't rent. don't have a mortgage. I could easily afford to buy to let, but wouldn't out of principle.

Don’t think I said you. I said usually jealousy that fuels this debate. I see all the time in forums, social media and local chatter people who can’t dream of getting on the housing ladder so moan that the people who decide to make a living out of buying multiple properties and renting them out are bad and should not be allowed to do it.

If you legitimately make a living out of it good luck to you and all the best. I can’t stand the people who believe they are entitled to something just because.

Don’t think I said you. I said usually jealousy that fuels this debate. I see all the time in forums, social media and local chatter people who can’t dream of getting on the housing ladder so moan that the people who decide to make a living out of buying multiple properties and renting them out are bad and should not be allowed to do it.

If you legitimately make a living out of it good luck to you and all the best. I can’t stand the people who believe they are entitled to something just because.

And that is where we would fundamentally disagree. I believe it is a fundamental right in a modern society for someone to have somewhere affordable to live. I fundamentally disagree that individuals should profit from that.

Sponsored Links
Back