rent caps

Don’t think I said you. I said usually jealousy that fuels this debate. I see all the time in forums, social media and local chatter people who can’t dream of getting on the housing ladder so moan that the people who decide to make a living out of buying multiple properties and renting them out are bad and should not be allowed to do it.

If you legitimately make a living out of it good luck to you and all the best. I can’t stand the people who believe they are entitled to something just because.

There is an argument for the fact that those that invest in property, say many years ago, have seen a huge increase in the value but it is the local demand and local improvements that have created the value gain, not the property owner.

Those of us that own and live in 1 house have nothing to gain from huge property values.

House building by the big 6 does nothing to dolve the housing crisis, merely perpetuate it.

Of course we could just blame immigrants......

Sponsored Links
The real issue is whether the way land and building resources have been employed to what and to whose benefit. Have we allocated these resources efficiently to maximise welfare or maximise profits for a few?

Generally I cannot support rent controls unless its for a specific and time limited purpose whilst other policies are being enacted.

And that is where we would fundamentally disagree. I believe it is a fundamental right in a modern society for someone to have somewhere affordable to live. I fundamentally disagree that individuals should profit from that.
You say individuals; what about all the businesses that do?

Sponsored Links
What, no mortgages, no loans, no insurance, no DIY sheds, no stamp duty, no solicitors, no Estate Agents, no builders, etc. etc.?

Housing crisis, rents should be capped to social housing levels. Discuss.

I don't agree. I think the problem should be catered to by the provision of more social housing such as the old council houses that were put up, not towerblocks and the like.

I don't see why someone shouldn't be able to profit from their own assets if the possibility is there.

And that is where we would fundamentally disagree. I believe it is a fundamental right in a modern society for someone to have somewhere affordable to live. I fundamentally disagree that individuals should profit from that.

What's affordable? What's affordable to a doctor might not be affordable for a doctor. Should housing be let on the basis of salary or average earnings? Should the top earners pay 10% more because they can afford it and the lowest earners pay 10% less on the same basis?

Housing is in a sorry state in the UK but I don't believe in stumping capitalism as a quick fix.

I don't agree. I think the problem should be catered to by the provision of more social housing such as the old council houses that were put up, not towerblocks and the like.

I don't see why someone shouldn't be able to profit from their own assets if the possibility is there.

What's affordable? What's affordable to a doctor might not be affordable for a doctor. Should housing be let on the basis of salary or average earnings? Should the top earners pay 10% more because they can afford it and the lowest earners pay 10% less on the same basis?

Housing is in a sorry state in the UK but I don't believe in stumping capitalism as a quick fix.

Unfortunately this is where the disjoint is. A property is not an asset per se (it is obviously a fixed asset) it is a place for someone to live.

Affordable is average house = 2.5-3 times average salary.

The trouble with talking about housing in averages is that it doesn't account for location. It's like saying someone on an average salary in the midlands couldn't afford an average property in London. I understand in London especially a lot of people are being priced out but at the same time there are a lot of high earners in London who need to live therefor work, they pay the price.

Unfortunately this is where the disjoint is. A property is not an asset per se (it is obviously a fixed asset) it is a place for someone to live.

Well, it is. It's a place for someone to live of course, that doesn't mean it can't be used to profit from. Anyone with sense would do everything possible to buy their own property rather than rent but some people would rather rent, if there were no house owners, who would they rent from? Housing associations don't have the land bank required to meet demand.

Affordable is average house = 2.5-3 times average salary.
Well - None of that is correct.

If it is wishful thinking then, in theory you may be right - in Utopia.

Rather than blame 'individual' landlords (who are not to blame) for the high price of houses, you could actually blame people who have sold houses for inflated prices.

Well - None of that is correct.

If it is wishful thinking then, in theory you may be right - in Utopia.

Rather than blame 'individual' landlords (who are not to blame) for the high price of houses, you could actually blame people who have sold houses for inflated prices.

I don't blame any individuals at all. I blame an unsustainable market which prices the average person out of the housing ladder. BTW 30 years ago housing in London was quite reasonable.

House prices are ridiculous. A house in our road is up for sale at 10 times the price we paid for ours 25 years ago. the same year we bought it, we won a competition in the local rag & our prize was a £100 in a local Building Society. At the time many BS were being bought out & account holders were making a tidy sum so we hang on to it. BS never got sold, still have account, but now has £140 in it.Capping prices, be it rent,power or beer is wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back