repairing lawnmover cable

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't mow my lawn in the rain and my sockets are all RCD protected so I used a rubber plug and socket like this
41051KH4CVL.jpg
not strictly correct as the earth pin is not used but good enough. The lawn mower type
$_35.JPG
would be better I use it to give me a little more length.

Nothing wrong with the one you have selected except rather expensive.

Personally I don't mow my lawn in the rain and my sockets are all RCD protected so I used a rubber plug and socket like this
41051KH4CVL.jpg
not strictly correct as the earth pin is not used but good enough. The lawn mower type
$_35.JPG
would be better I use it to give me a little more length.

Nothing wrong with the one you have selected except rather expensive.

Thanks. Any idea where can I find this? Our main consumer unit is protected with RCD.

Sponsored Links
Two pin or three pin.

Personally I prefer to use 3 core cable even if the mower does not need ( or MUST NOT have ) an earth connection.

With the earth conductor in the cable there is a better chance of the RCD being tripped at the moment the cable is cut and before someone picks up the damaged cable.

The socket goes on the cable from the house. The plug on the cable to the mower. Quite a few people get that wrong,

I am a fan of these: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...ccessories/sd2659/Cable+Connector+IP67/p96672

You don't have to mow the lawn in the rain to get moisture in the connector.

Two-piece connectors are usually placed so that when mated together the joint is off the ground so away from potential sources of moisture, unless of course it is raining...

The chances are the joint in the flex will be at ground level so the connector shown ensures that no moisture will enter the joint as the cable is dragged along.

I am a fan of these: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...ccessories/sd2659/Cable+Connector+IP67/p96672

You don't have to mow the lawn in the rain to get moisture in the connector.

Two-piece connectors are usually placed so that when mated together the joint is off the ground so away from potential sources of moisture, unless of course it is raining...

The chances are the joint in the flex will be at ground level so the connector shown ensures that no moisture will enter the joint as the cable is dragged along.

Thanks. Stupid but do I need to "seal" cable entry as I am not sure if cable connector is small enough to properly seal cable entry... Thanks

Bernardgreen's comments are interesting. I was going to ask if it was better to have a 3 core lead so the RCD has more chance of tripping

No real benefit IMO.
The (orange) cable that you have is only two core, as are all supply cables for domestic outdoor tools when they are feeding a double insulated devices (like your lawn mower).

You would have to replace the cable, as well as the connector.

Meanwhile, the lawn will be getting above waist height! :D

No real benefit IMO.
It improves the chances of the RCD tripping when the cable gets mangled, rather than having to wait for current to flow through someone to earth.

xyz - how long is the cable? Might be cheaper to replace it than buy a connector. Certainly be better.

No real benefit IMO.
I have to say that I'm with bernard and BAS here - and I'm actually moderately surprised that two-core cables are allowed for outdoor tools. As has been said, it's surely better to increase the chances of an RCD operating immediately the cable is cut, rather than waiting until a path to true earth (maybe through a person) comes into the equation?

Having said that, I have not gone around systematically changing the leads of all my garden tools to 3-core - but if/when, for whatever reason, I replace any such cables, I do replace with 3-core.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back