Repairs For Old Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The roof of my Victorian 2 bedroom house is quite old and in need of some fairly urgent repairs. Ideally a professional would come in and replace the whole thing, but I can't afford that at the moment.

If viable, a much better option for me would be to do some cheapish repairs myself that would extend its lifespan a few more years.

Here are the problems in order of importance as I understand them :

1. The flashing around the chimney stack ; the cement fillet is in poor condition. This is causing a small amount of water leakage
into the loft with heavy rain. Also, the chimney stack itself seems very high and in quite bad condition. I do worry that one day the whole thing will collapse and cause a lot of damage. Should it ideally be removed ?

2. The overhang on the verge / side of the roof ; At present in various areas there is no overhang at all, which I have been told can cause dampness down the wall. Is this correct ?

3. At the rear right of the roof where the soil pipe is there is a quite badly damaged area. Also, I am not sure that the soil pipe should exit out through the tiles in the way it is currently designed. Shouldn't there be a bend in it so it exits to the side of the roof? It does annoy me that the soil pipe is so close to a bedroom window, I am sure I can smell gases coming out of it on hot days in the summer. Could it be extended / diverted to somewhere higher up on the roof? Could it be replaced with lightweight plastic piping and if so might the old pipe have any scrap value ?

Click here for pictures

How would I fix all these problems and what materials / equipment would I need ?

I have been told it is possible the tiles contain asbestos, how likely is this and would I need to take any precautions ?

Thankyou :)

Sponsored Links
The slates contain low level asbestos.

The soil vent pipe can be cut below the gutter and a couple of bends added to take it round and above the gutter.

The chimney is shared and cannot tell from pictures what works are required to do.

The oversail at the roof edge will require stripping and redoing.

You will need a roof ladder, ladder, tower scaffold at a minimum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back