Replace window and door or renovate - your thoughts please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a door and window in a terrible state of repair and I am unsure if i should repair/renovate or replace.

Ideally i would like to repair the front door but I believe the window is beyond repair. Its totally rotten.

As I am intending on painting the door i believe it is reasonable to just fill the cracks ? or will they reappear this winter?

The bottom of the door (i think its called the sill) is rotten and loose as is the weatherboard on the door what can i do with this?

How should i go about preparing the door and frame? I plan on sanding the flaking stain/varnish but what should i use before the final coat of paint?

As for the window I am just not sure what to do...any thoughts are most welcome.

As a picture is worth a thousand words ... have a look at these :)

[/img]

Sponsored Links
I would replace the door as well would take days to get it to a fair condition, looks like it's been neglected for too long.

Definately replace the door, it's not worth the hassle splicing and repairing it. It's a fairly standard door by the look of it and aren't too costly to buy.Have a poke about at the door frame to see what stste thats in too.
As to the window it may be worth repairing it, I've certainly repaired worse albeit in heritage properties. It will probably be a purpose made window that you would need rather than an off the shelf job so cost may be a factor here.
The cill certainly looks shot and possibly a couple of splices to the sides and a glazing bar or two would be required.
Much depends on wheather you feel able to do the splicing yourself and have the time to do it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys so far.

Can anybody confirm that the bottom of the door frame is salvageable. Can I remove just the sill of the frame easily ?

Does anyone know of a reputable company who could supply a replacement window in the Leeds area?

I appreciate that it is probably going to be less work to replace. But I dont mind hard work and it cost wise it may be to expensive for me.

If its repairable for under £50 it probably is worth it for me

Looking at the third picture again I would say that to repair the frame would involve replacing the cill and probably about a foot of the jambs . Not impossible in situ, fiddly and you will end up hitting your saw on the brickwork at some point in all probability but doable.
Make sure the top edge of the splice is angled to help prevent water entering the joint and the joint itsself is nice and tight and fixed with a waterproof adhesive and screwed firmly and the repair should last a fair few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back