Replace wired Danfoss TP5000 thermostat with a wired Tado thermostat to control heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our electric central wet system consists of an electric boiler (Heatrae Sadia Amptec C900), a hot water tank (Cyclone CY200), a wired Danfoss TP5000 thermostat and multiple radiators in each of our rooms in our apartment.

I am not able to see any receiver attached to the electric boiler so I assume heating is solely controlled by the TP5000.

Hot water is heated up at specific pre-programmed times (off peak hours with cheaper electricity rates). Not entirely sure how this was programmed, but it currently works with no interaction or means of control from my end.

I am wondering now if I could simply replace the existing Danfoss TP5000 thermostat with a wired Tado one and be able to keep the hot water preparation as it is and adjust the heating with Tado? Next step would then be to replace the TRVs with smart ones.

Advise would be much appreciated.

FB707DB9-25F6-414F-BC96-C5DD6A419E4D.jpeg
D9A1E160-3430-4129-8B6A-EB01AB5E023A.jpeg
FC170A43-C0C6-4C89-85DA-09DFC578D7A6.jpeg
055A1D17-59FC-4908-8C21-0E7F25FC67C9.jpeg
57C9A285-7634-4FB9-B175-1833C18443A1.jpeg
7342F0F6-59DB-4F64-A062-C42A4EEFFAF9.jpeg
77B61666-BF70-4DBD-880E-571E79CA49FD.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The 2 wires for your danfoss will go either direct to the boiler or via a wiring center. The Tado will likely need a permanent live and a permanent neutral and those 2 switch wires. If this seems too complicated to do, you could always go for a Nest E which uses batteries and just those 2 wires.

your HW is heated by the two immersion heaters in the HW cylinder and not by the Amptec, the danfoss only controls the heating side and is totally seperate to the HW side

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
your HW is heated by the two immersion heaters in the HW cylinder and not by the Amptec, the danfoss only controls the heating side and is totally seperate to the HW side
I assume then it is just a matter of wiring the brown cable to COM (common) and black one to NO (normally open) on the Tado thermostat?

The wiring diagram can be found at below link;

Just for my understanding and please correct me if my assumptions are wrong;
- Hot water is dealt with by the two immersion heaters in the HW cylinder and is automatically activated during off-peak hours (cheaper electricity).
- Heating is triggered by the wired Danfoss thermostat which then activates the Amptec Boiler when a certain room temperature is reached. The Amptec heats fresh water to the required temperature and then distributes it to the room radiators. It doesn't take hot water from the water tank.

Sponsored Links
The Amptec heats fresh water to the required temperature and then distributes it to the room radiators. It doesn't take hot water from the water tank.
No the water inside the radiators is not "fresh" water it is a sealed system, the water in the HW cylinder and the water in your Amptec and rads are totally seperate and never meet.

I assume then it is just a matter of wiring the brown cable to COM (common) and black one to NO (normally open) on the Tado thermostat?

No the thermostat has no wires it is battery operated and sends a signal to the Tado hub, the two existing wires from the Danfoss go to NO & COM you will ason need a mains voltage supply to the hub, here is a shrt video explaining

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I am wondering now if I could simply replace the existing Danfoss TP5000 thermostat with a wired Tado one

If you have the battery operated Wired Tado, then yes you are correct...

Screenshot 2022-10-27 121726.png

If you have the wireless version, then the video from @ianmcd applies.

If you have the battery operated Wired Tado, then yes you are correct...

View attachment 283863

If you have the wireless version, then the video from @ianmcd applies.
Thanks everybody for the valuable feedback.
That confirms my initial assumptions.

I am planning to replace the wired Dunfoss with a wired TADO thermostat. Based on your feedback it should be an easy swap and should not influence the hot water supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back