Replacement bulb for low energy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So when we built our house we had to have a certain amount that were low energy but over time as these have blown & i've replaced like for like & they were available cheap at Asda but alas no more.

If I can find them for sale now they seem to be expensive, so is there an alternative without replacing the light fitting? Guess I need to look into if I can remove the black "basket" that the bulbs sit in.

I'll let the pic do the talking as it'll prob make more sense:

Existing:

412786553.jpg

Bulb:

412786554.jpg

Approx bulb size:

412786555.jpg

Any ideas what to use instead?

Thanks,

Russ

Sponsored Links
You should still be able to get these easily, I replaced 3 last month, you will likely only be able to get them from an electrical wholesalers as they are not all that common. Here for example.

You should still be able to get these easily, I replaced 3 last month, you will likely only be able to get them from an electrical wholesalers as they are not all that common. Here for example.

That would make sense to be honest as my best mate did all the electrics in the place & used City Electrical Factors for everything we needed, may have to pop along to them & buy a job lot!

Sponsored Links
Is there anything to stop the OP from binning the black bit and just using an LED GU10?

Yep, liking your thinking as I have to admit the energy saving bulbs don't seem to last nearly as long as the others.

Is there anything to stop the OP from binning the black bit and just using an LED GU10?
I'm not sure, is the black bit an insulation keeperawayer or does it just prevent the risk of someone installing a halogen lamp which could burn/set fire to the fitting? LED should be OK but modifying the fitting could encourage someone in the future to fit a halogen lamp.

I'm not sure, is the black bit an insulation keeperawayer or does it just prevent the risk of someone installing a halogen lamp which could burn/set fire to the fitting? LED should be OK but modifying the fitting could encourage someone in the future to fit a halogen lamp.

Might drop one of the lights from the ceiling & take some more pics

Yea do that, or failing that, you can get longer GU10 Leds, they're getting a bit old hat now as the technology moves forward, they're becoming fairly typically almost the same size as a halogen. This is an example of a Megaman

The lamps you have are cfl (fluorescent).

Better to replace them with the LED equivalent, they come on instantly, rather than having to take 30 seconds to warm up.

Google "led long neck gu10". A 5watt LED would be about the ssame brightness as the 11wall cfl you currently have.

For example

So I dropped one out of the ceiling this morning & there doesn’t appear to be anything special about them at all. The outer case they sit in is a fairly thick metal unit presumably there to stop heat transference.

I reckon if I disconnect them so the basket & GU10 mount is free I can probably just remove the basket & fit a normal lamp, so looks like led’s will be the way forwards?

412788691.jpg

412788692.jpg

It should be OK. I have not seen a cage like that, inside the can.

What is the make and model of the downlight fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back