replacement cooker, wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I had my Kitchen done the cooker was moved and the fitter ran a cable from the main cooker point to a double socket (one for the gas hob ignition and one for the cooker) and then ran a spur from that double to another single for the extractor fan.

The cooker is now playing up and I want to replace it, simple enough but..

If I go for one which uses a 13amp plug then no problem it just plugs in the existing socket.
But i'm looking at a more powerfull one which requires hard wiring.
Ok here's the question the hard wired one will just be wired into the old cooker point, but can the extra sockets for the hob and extract be left or will then have to be rewired to a different circuit?

Thanks. Gavin

Sponsored Links
Cookers should be wired on their own circuit, generally using 6mm² cable. What you might be able to do is incorporate your double socket as part of the kitchen ring. If its a radial to can add it in - make sure you use the right size cable it could be 4mm².
The single socket for the extractor could be added to the lighting circuit via a 3A FCU.

Incidently when you say cooker point I take it you do mean cooker connection unit rather than cooker control unit.

by cooker point i mean the big junction point behind the cooker which is switched by a standard cooker switch plate.

OK that's the cooker control unit. There should also be a cooker connection box from where you then connect direct to your cooker. This is also connected to your CCU with 6mm² cable and is usually sited behind your cooker.
As your CCU has a 13A socket the cooker circuit should also be RCD protected.

Sponsored Links
That sounds about right. here's a little sketch
current.jpg

and this is the proposed
proposed.jpg

Would that be OK.

I should also say that all the sockets/connections are hidden under/beneath the cabinates except the switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back