Replacement cordless drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!

After 8 or so years of drilling holes and putting in thousands of screws, my B&D Firestorm 18 volt drill has expired.

Looking at what's on offer these days, the choice is mind boggling. What I want to know is, are the current B&D's any good or would it be worth getting another make?

I also did a fair bit of light masonary drilling with it, mostly drilling in walls to put in rawlplugs.

So guy's, what do you recommend as a replacement?

Sponsored Links
In many instances you can buy a new cordless drill with a charger and two batteries for nearly the same price that you will pay for two replacement batteries. Cheaper cordless drills and power tools may even be regarded as disposable as an option to buying replacement batteries. It is much easier to drill holes to start nails and screws, in many instances, when yu don't have to worry about finding and outlet and running drop cords for corded drills. This is especially true for jobs like hanging and repairing gutters, hanging and repairing siding, working on decks or deck furniture.

Sponsored Links
You'll get a gazillion different opinions on this.

I'll just say, about 6 months ago i bought this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/61293...uer-ERB093COM-18V-Li-ion-Cordless-Combi-Drill
But mine only had one battery and cost £118
It has been brilliant and last weekend without charging it up beforehand (when the previous day it was used to drive in over 150 75mm drywall screws) i used it to drill approx. 50 holes in red brick to accommodate size 5 rawplugs (approx 25-30mm deep). Not felt like i'm missing the 2nd battery tbh either.

Last month, I bought this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75255...s/BOSCH-GSR14-4-2-14-4V-Cordless-Drill-Driver when it was £68. I use this for driving mostly and its fantastic too, but i'm grateful for the 2nd battery with this.

I'm building a 24sqm extension and both have been hammered plenty. I know the pro's will say to spend more on better, but i can't fault the Erbauer and it did the same tasks my mates Makita li-ion 18v did when we both worked together one day drilling and driving.
Its quite big though so more suited for drilling really. The Bosch however, is a perfect lightweight for driving.
If I could only have one, the Erbauer would be the one i'd choose.

Oh... and i dropped both from the top of a ladder the other day :rolleyes: .......both still absolutely fine. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back