Replacement for MA 29 L Oil Fired Boiler Boiler Control Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Redfyre 18/25 Centrajet Oil Fired Boiler which was installed in my property in 1975. It has been regularly serviced and has given excellent service.

I now require a replacement control box but his is proving difficult to obtain. One boiler engineer has told me that the boiler is obsolete and needs replacing.

At this time, and being on a pension, I cannot afford to replace the boiler.

The original literature quotes the control box as being a MA 29 L and the actual control box bears the reference number MA 29 AL.

Could someone please advise if this control box is still available and, if so, from where. If it is not available is there an alternative make/model of control box that is suitable.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Blimey!!! 36 years service!! You've had your moneys worth from the old Redfyre eh!! What can you say; They just don't make em like that any more.

They'll be a manufacturers name on the control box, most are a series of relays, so look on the underside of the control box & it will give the timing etc of these. Sorry, if you're a DIYer & have worked on the burner that is?

From memory they had Orange Inter burners, with Danfoss BHO control boxes??

The Petercem MA Control box is Long obsolete - your boiler engineer must be absolutely USELESS!!! get a proper one
to convert to a modern control you will need -

1 off Satronic TF 832.2 Control Box
1 off Satronic S701 Wiring base and cable plate
1 off Satronic MZ photo cell with holder.

It will take a COMPETENT boiler engineer about 1 hour to get your old beastie going again!

P.S. about 8 Months ago i had a Redfyre Centrajet with exactly the same fault as yours - new box etc and all was well it will cost around £200 inc fitting & vat ;)

The Petercem MA Control box is Long obsolete - your boiler engineer must be absolutely USELESS!!! get a proper one

It will take a COMPETENT boiler engineer about 1 hour to get your old beastie going again!

P.S. about 8 Months ago i had a Redfyre Centrajet with exactly the same fault as yours - new box etc and all was well it will cost around £200 inc fitting & vat ;)

Sorry, I stand corrected.

Sponsored Links
I have a Redfyre 18/25 Centrajet Oil Fired Boiler which was installed in my property in 1975. It has been regularly serviced and has given excellent service.

I now require a replacement control box but his is proving difficult to obtain. One boiler engineer has told me that the boiler is obsolete and needs replacing.

At this time, and being on a pension, I cannot afford to replace the boiler.

The original literature quotes the control box as being a MA 29 L and the actual control box bears the reference number MA 29 AL.

Could someone please advise if this control box is still available and, if so, from where. If it is not available is there an alternative make/model of control box that is suitable.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated.

Got a picture, tried eBay?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses.

Much as I thought, there is an alternative to the original box.

The call out engineer that said the boiler was beyond repair was not the usual one that I had previously seen and I guess he was only interested in trying to sell me a replacement. I did tell him where to go!

I have the original circuit diagrams for the boiler so I will try to find the details for the Satronic control box and match them up. Providing I can identify what wire goes where I am quite happy to fit the new box and photo cell. Failing that I can look for a decent local engineer to do the job for me.

Thanks once again.

Twofirs.

Wiring should be straight forward. Only thing of concern is whether or not the pump has a solenoid or not.
If you get a satronic there is diagram on the underside and note to state which terminal to use for pump without solenoid.

Look what I've found.

http://www.igniteheatingspares.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=69_87&zenid=u4552odkeq[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mandate - what a star :D I will contact them asap but my only concern is the turn round time if repair is the only option. The quickest option may therefore still be a replacement Satronic control box.

The pump is a Danfoss BFP 21L3 Service Pump which has a solenoid mounted directly on it. There is no other solenoid on the boiler that I can see and no other solenoid valve shown on the boiler schematic.

Would I be correct in saying that the single solenoid indicates a single stage burner and therefore the Satronic TF 830 would be the correct choice if a replacement control box is used rather than the two stage TF 832?

Thanks once again for all the help.

Twofirs

TF 830 has connection for 1 solenoid (Terminal 5)
TF832 has connection for 2 solenoid if you use this box connect your solenoid to terminal 5 leave terminal 6 unused (this foir High/low burners)

Terminal
1 Photocell
2 Photocell
3 Ignition transformer
4 Burner motor
5 Solenoid
6 DO NOT USE
7 Alarm output (remote lock out indicator) DO NOT USE
8 NUETRAL
9 LIVE

You will have to wire the two boiler thermostat wires in SERIES with the live to terminal 9, as the satronic box has no facility to wire a boiler stat (unlike your old Petercem box)

The satronic wiring base has two terminal "A" & "B" which can be used to series the boiler stat to the live feed ;)

TF 830 has connection for 1 solenoid (Terminal 5)
TF832 has connection for 2 solenoid if you use this box connect your solenoid to terminal 5 leave terminal 6 unused (this foir High/low burners)

Terminal
1 Photocell
2 Photocell
3 Ignition transformer
4 Burner motor
5 Solenoid
6 DO NOT USE
7 Alarm output (remote lock out indicator) DO NOT USE
8 NUETRAL
9 LIVE

You will have to wire the two boiler thermostat wires in SERIES with the live to terminal 9, as the satronic box has no facility to wire a boiler stat (unlike your old Petercem box)

The satronic wiring base has two terminal "A" & "B" which can be used to series the boiler stat to the live feed ;)

Hi Guys,

Once again, thanks for the prompt responses and, to Boilerman2, thanks for the terminal wiring details - that's clarified the situation a great deal.

Twofirs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back